X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGV reads (grey vs white)

Hello folks,

concerning the Integrative Genomics Viewer:
    What is the difference between the white and the grey reads? Some reads in the alignment are all filled with grey and some are outlined with grey but filled with white. I couldn't find any answer in the manual (http://www.broadinstitute.org/softwa.../AlignmentData).

Thanks in advance,
    best regards,
    Oliver

Hi,
    Reads filled with white have mapping quality score = 0
    best regards,
    Matteo

Comment

Thanks!
      Does this mean that they are aligned just by desperation?

Comment

It usually means there are two or more equally likely locations, and so this location was randomly chosen from that set.

Comment

Hello nilshomer,

thanks for your answer. Its a bit confusing, I can think of two equally likly locations that both have a great mapping quality but then its set to zero because its ambiguous?

Comment

First apologies this was not documented, we'll correct that. I agree its confusing, I think ambiguous mappings should be indicated by a separate score or field, but that's the way it is.

Jim

Comment

Hello everyone,

To continue on this grey vs. white issue, I have an IGV plot containing 2 reads: 1 long at a certain position, and another slightly shorter which is one position afterwards (i.e. in terms of positions, the small read is contained within the range of the big read). In IGV, the big read is marked white (i.e. can be aligned elsewhere), the small is grey, and the big read has no SNPs/Indels in its edges. The question is, how is it possible that a certain read can be aligned to multiple positions, whereas its subsequence is unique?
              On the same note, which tool determines whether a read can be mapped to multiple locations (i.e. white bar)? Can IGV calculate that itself?
              "Though it may seem that all's been said and done, originality still lives on" - some unoriginal guy who had nothing better to write as his signature

Comment

Hi,

IGV is not making any judgement calls, is is using the mapping quality. It is a convention with at least some aligners (BWA), if not all aligners, that mapping quality == 0 means the read is not uniquely mapped. IGV does not do any calculation. So if you want to take all interpretation out of the picture a "white" read simply means that the mapping quality has been set to zero by the aligner.

Jim

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                  Today, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses