No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-seq and GC content bias

Dear all,

I am analyzing a dataset of RNA-seq (from Illumina Genome Analyser IIx), and have found some interesting expression pattern trends related to the GC content of genes. After reading the literature, I have noticed that RNA-seq has some biases related to the GC content. Hence, I am not sure of the validity of my inferences.

So, my question, or questions are:
    -How can I determine if this is a biologically meaningful trend or rather so a bias of the methodology?
    -To what extent does the GC content biases the results of RNA-seq experiments? (the "trends" that I observe are strong)
    -I am working with published RPKM values, and was wondering if I need to recalculate all these values considering GC content biases or if I could just test how much bias is in the data.

Any clue with any of these questions is highly appreciated!
    Federico

Have a look at the conditional quantile normalization paper from Hansen et al. (http://biostatistics.oxfordjournals..../13/2/204.full). I expect that has much of what you're looking for.

Comment

Many thanks, dpryan

I am not sure whether I could guess from the paper the extent of the influence of the GC content, but will do some tests with my data to see what can I see

Fede

Comment

This was also a concern of mine since I work with a GC-rich species, and it is clear from Aird et al, 2011 (Genome Biology 12:R18) that PCR conditions during library prep can non-uniformly amplify transcripts with different GC contents. If you are really seeing systematic biases, I would figure out what you did/had done during library construction (polymerase, buffers, etc.), to know if you can anticipate that you had biased amplification.

I am not sure this will help your analysis any, but at least if your preparation didn't take this into account, you can write off some of the variability that way.

Anna

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses