X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix Illumina FASTQ files with read length varies errors

How to fix FASTQ files with read length varies errors

Dear List,

I am a newbie in NGS analysis, I've got a collection of FASTQ files coming from an Illumina NGS analysis, I tried to upload in GEO and I had this reply from the curator:

These fastq files have "read length varies" errors All reads in a fastq file should be the same length. Read lengths of different size originating from a single lane is an error

So, is there any solution to deal with this? I mean, do I have to trim the fastq's or anything similar? I guess that prior to this I have to use FASTQC in order to see what are the length variations? Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by antgomo View Post
    How to fix FASTQ files with read length varies errors

Dear List,

I am a newbie in NGS analysis, I've got a collection of FASTQ files coming from an Illumina NGS analysis, I tried to upload in GEO and I had this reply from the curator:

These fastq files have "read length varies" errors All reads in a fastq file should be the same length. Read lengths of different size originating from a single lane is an error

So, is there any solution to deal with this? I mean, do I have to trim the fastq's or anything similar? I guess that prior to this I have to use FASTQC in order to see what are the length variations? Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance
    You shouldn't be getting different readlengths off an Illumina sequencer.
    If the file was downloaded, I'd check the md5sums to make sure the file is intact and not corrupted during download.

Comment

Submit the original files? I assume yours have already been post-processed/quality trimmed - or they wouldn't be different read lengths in the first place.

Comment

I notice you got much the same responses over on BioStar: http://biostar.stackexchange.com/que...-varies-errors

Comment

HI all,

Something similar but not exactly the same.
          I am having issues with Illumina trueseq custom amplicon data. First Fastqc shows 93% duplication level. Is that a big concern. I have small portion of the genome sequenced
          2. There is around 1.3% of unmapped overrepresented reads..Are these adapters. Iam nt sure if its a good idea to trim them.

Lastly I have several regions with only Forward reads and no reverse reads at all... What could be the possible reasons for this?

I would really appreciate if someone could help or direct me to any document/paper that might help.

Thanks a lot!
          'Mamta

Comment

@Mamta: Could you post this as a new question? The thread you're posting in hasn't been used in 3 years.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
            0 responses