No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low diversity on Nextseq 500

Hi all,

Does anyone have already sequenced low diversity libraries on the Nextseq and how did it perform? What were the conditions (PhiX % and library quantities)?
    How many reads did you get?
    Thank you for your input!
    Last edited by MisUser; 03-29-2017, 07:04 AM.

What kind of libraries are they? Are you expecting diversity to be low throughout the entire read length or just in specific parts?

We have had success with certain types of low diversity libraries on the NextSeq. Specific performance will depend on the exact library type, but a good place to start would be a PhiX spike-in of 10-20%.

-JT

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply.
      The sequence is identical for the first 25 nts and the diversity is good for the next 20nts.

Comment

We haven't dealt with this specific situation before, but with that length of identical sequence I would probably aim a little higher with the PhiX for the first attempt (20-30%). Would be interested to hear if other folks have sequenced this kind of library on the NextSeq. Once you convince yourself you can get good data from the high PhiX spike-in, you can titrate it down on future runs so you don't waste so many reads.

Comment

I think that 25% is a pretty good starting number. I used to regularly sequence libraries that looked like (8bp diversity + 15bp linker) x 3 on a NextSeq, and things tended to go badly when we dropped the PhiX below 20%

Comment

NextSeq seems to perform good with low diversity and unbalanced libraries such as RRBS as shown in the following:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5065634/

Comment

Hi - sorry to revive an old thread, we are gearing up our own very first RRBS run on the NextSeq500 so wanted to check in if 30% is actually a good amount of PhiX to spike in. Are the quality of clustering consistent?

Consulting with Illumina and other sources they suggest a starting amount of 40-50% (more like 50%) PhiX, and you really do lose quite a lot of reads with that amount so I would like to avoid that at all if possible. Thanks so much everyone!

Comment

Two issues with RRBS sequencing:
                1- unbalanced base composition: NextSeq performs fine
                2- low diversity at the start of reads: depends on method and if you are using NuGEN kit 1% PhiX would fine but if you are doing end repair, A tailing and ligation based method then 20% PhiX spike in is good starting point

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply nucacidhunter!

Yes it's homebrew so I guess I'll start with 20-30% PhiX spike-in. I am reading the Meissner mRRBS paper more in detail and noticed they do dark cycles. Does it help in this case (or can the Nextseq even do this)?

Thanks so much again, I am basically thrown into this NGS business with zero previous training and am still trying to figure things out!

Comment

For dark cycles you would need Illumina's assistance in your own risk if they agree and generally is worthwhile if you are doing multiple runs. I have not heard of dark cycles on NextSeq.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses