Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confidence that Alternative Splicing is NOT happening

Hey all. First post, sorry if it's a stupid question.

To make a long story short:

I've inherited a project in our lab working on a putative alternative splicing event of a gene. Instead of messing with wet bench experiments I decided to analyze some RNA-Seq data to determine how prevalent this isoform may be.

I've combined something like 50 SRA files and done tophat alignment. I've found every gene junction except for the one that was predicted to be alternatively spliced! The problem is that this gene is expressed at very low levels and I may not be seeing the AS version because of overall reads.

Is there something I can use that will count the total reads aligning to the gene or the number of times the other junctions have been found and give me a confidence or p-value that the AS event does NOT exist?

Essentially I need to make a mathematical decision on whether it is worth continuing this project or to maybe conduct another RNA-Seq to gain more confidence.

Thanks in advance!

Germwise

If you already know what splice junction(s) you are interested in interrogating, and already have the RNA sample(s) you wish to test, why not just do the qPCR? It's super quick and easy, and more sensitive than RNA-seq.

Comment

I don't quite understand why do RNA-Seq to study AS of 1 gene? As frozenlyse says, wouldn't a q(RT)-PCR be the best way to find out isoform abundance?

Comment

the mRNA-seq experiments were downloaded so they were free and I wanted to complement my qRT PCR results showing that this isoform existed.

However, it was extremely surprising that the RNA-Seq data didn't find the splice junction.

Anyone have an idea on how to do the statistics on it so that I can see how confident I can be in these results?

Comment

If you are looking for an exon skipping AS event, for example, then one way to go about would be to find all the isoforms of this gene from the data you have (cufflinks/cuffdiff) and find the inclusion level of all exons for this gene.
          From your lab experiments what AS and how many isoforms were you able to see, any idea? Did they also have intron retention events?

Comment

The AS of this gene is intron retention (and this is the majority form)

*Tophat does not find the junction of the intron

*When I input the predicted gene models into cufflinks, it gives me 3-10pct value for the form with the properly spliced intron. However, without finding the junction, I'm not sure the math behind its prediction.

I'm attaching a picture of part of my alignment showing both splicing gene models at the bottom. The intron retention form is easily found but no splicing junction.

Help!

I'll add that my experimental data suggests just these 2 forms though these results may be an artifact.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Germwise; 09-07-2011, 05:41 AM.

Comment

I'm not familiar with a tool to do this off-hand, but you could create a monte-carlo simulation that would let you know the probability of finding the junction or not given the data (and probably a few assumptions). Having said that, it wouldn't be trivial to write and wouldn't be worth the effort unless there's some super compelling reason to suspect that this splicing event takes place (i.e., a reviewer could reasonably ask for it).

Comment

dpryan-

There is no reviewer as of yet, but I since I have data for and against AS, I want to know how much weight I should place on these RNA-Seq results. Basically, it comes down to a decision on whether we will pursue this further.

Comment

I would test that tophat actually *can* map reads across that splice junction - simulate reads (of the same length as the datasets you have downloaded) across the whole of the two isoforms, and see how well they map back to preclude some sort of mapping bias.

Unless the public data you have downloaded is the same tissue you are interested in, it's never going to be able to prove that a certain AS event does *not* happen. Have you done RT-PCR with a primer straddling that spice junction?

Comment

It depends on you being able to calculate the expected insert size of the RNA-seq data.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses