Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• samtools: parse error in SAM to BAM conversion

Greetings, I am a novice user with little experience running command line software. I am enjoying learning, though error messages leave me at a loss.

Background: I used bwa to create my SAM file. When I attempt to use the "view" option to convert to BAM I receive the following:

[samopen] SAM header is present: 100 sequences.
    Parse error at line 18750817: unmatched CIGAR operation
    Aborted

I am unclear as to what the problem is. Any guidance?

-Chris

Originally posted by chrisW View Post
    Greetings, I am a novice user with little experience running command line software. I am enjoying learning, though error messages leave me at a loss.

Background: I used bwa to create my SAM file. When I attempt to use the "view" option to convert to BAM I receive the following:

[samopen] SAM header is present: 100 sequences.
    Parse error at line 18750817: unmatched CIGAR operation
    Aborted

I am unclear as to what the problem is. Any guidance?

-Chris
    It may be a bug in the program that produced the BAM; you may be able to post on that program's help mailing list. Optionally, you could print out line "18750817" to show us the offending line.

Comment

Thank you for getting back to me. I don't know how to get text from the terminal and paste it into these forum windows. I did, however, look at the offending line. It is missing the actual nucleotide and associated Illumina information. Is there an easy way to explain how I can get terminal screen printout into a form I can "cut/paste"? I could then show you exactly what I'm seeing.

Based on your comments, it appears that bwa perhaps introduced an error in creating the SAM file ...or there may be something off in the datafiles I'm feeding into bwa?

Again, I appreciate your willingness to help. There is a steep learning curve for me as I've never had any Unix training. I just learned the "sed" function to look at the offending line and see what was wrong.
      -Chris

Comment

is it the last line in output? i guess it is truncated.

Comment

No, it's not the last line in output. I'm not sure of the line's exact position in the SAM file, but I printed out the lines prior and after the offending line and they are intact with a nucleotide string followed by what I understand to be Illumina information (perhaps pertaining to quality of the nucleotide call?)

I would show you what I'm seeing but I don't know how to get output from my terminal window into a form that I can post, other than typing verbatim what I'm seeing into these chat windows. There must be an easier way.

At this point I don't know if this offending line is the only one in my SAM file or if there are others. It just appears to be the first and thus aborts the SAM --> BAM conversion.

Thanks for you help.

Comment

Figured out my terminal to chat cut/paste. So, here are three lines from my .sam file. The middle line is the offending line that brings up the "unmatched CIGAR operation".

output/

chriswall@ubuntu:/host/Users/chris.wall/Desktop/Mastigo-genomics/bwa_cw$ sed '18750816,18750818!d' WC.sam
            ILLUMINA-2F52BD:6:50:1169:1446#0 163 NODE_37776_length_48465_cov_160.191483\par 35442 29 59M = 35600 217 TTTTATCGGTGTGTATCGGTGTGTATCGGTGGGCGAGTTTTCAACAAGATTATGGGGCA gggfggggfdae[_aee_eeZ_^]_`aaeS]\FY\`dWZ]_^`_`WcSZXg`dgfcbYV XT:A:U NM:i:2 SM:i:0 AM:i:0 X0:i:1 X1:i:2 XM:i:2 XO:i:0 XG:i:0 MD:Z:7T27G23

ILLUMINA-2F52BD:6:50:1169:1947#0 83 NODE_51983_length_172857_cov_173.044144\par 119160 60 5 XT:A:U NM:i:1 SM:i:37 AM:i:37 X0:i:1 X1:i:0 XM:i:1 XO:i:0 XG:i:0 MD:Z:39C19

ILLUMINA-2F52BD:6:50:1178:417#0 83 NODE_43256_length_74978_cov_171.684830\par 68201 60 59M = 67821 -439 CAGAGAAAAGACAGGTGATTATCAGACAACCTACGGATTGATAGGAATTTTGAACCGCA bgdgbgfgf^dddddgdfgffggfbaggZefeae\ggggbfgggegfggggcg`feffe XT:A:U NM:i:0 SM:i:37 AM:i:37 X0:i:1 X1:i:0 XM:i:0 XO:i:0 XG:i:0 MD:Z:59

/output

Can this offending line and perhaps any subsequent offending lines be deleted from the .sam file and not introduce a problem?

Comment

The sequence and qualities are also missing along with the CIGAR. What program generated the SAM file?

Comment

bwa 0.5.5 package from Ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by chrisW View Post
                  bwa 0.5.5 package from Ubuntu
                  Try the latest source code from the BWA SVN repository.

Comment

actually 0.5.5 is more stable than the latest release. 1KG has been using it to map >20TB of data and it never fails.

Comment

Any suggestions for the missing CIGAR?

Comment

I guess this is a disk error or input error. It is quite unlikely to happen if you read the source code on printing alignments. It has never happened before.

Comment

parse error using samtools view -bT, ValidateSamFile output: empty seq dictionary!

Originally posted by lh3 View Post
                          I guess this is a disk error or input error. It is quite unlikely to happen if you read the source code on printing alignments. It has never happened before.
                          Hello Everyone,
                          I am having trouble converting the sam files to bam using samtools. I used this cmd to convert my sam to bam -

samtools view -bT hg19.fa s_chip2.sam > s_chip2.bam
                          I got this error.
                          Parse error at line 7707082: sequence and quality are inconsistent
                          Aborted

I ran ValidateSamFile.jar, a picard tool and got the following error, hundreds of them -

WARNING: Read name HWI-ST798R:82: D18MUACXX:2:1101:2025:1987, A record is missing a read group
                          ERROR: Record 5, Read name HWI-ST798R:82: D18MUACXX:2:1101:8625:1992, Empty sequence dictionary.

I am not sure how to fix this, any help is appreciated.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses