Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FastQC problems

Greetings to every one. Here we have another newbie who made the reckless decision to throw himself in bioinformatics . I was given certain sequences from nanopore and pacbio, so really long sequences. Managed the program to work correctly in the server as a perl script but when I run it with the data as an argument I get the following error

Exception in thread "Thread-1" java. lang. Out Of Memory Error: Java heap space
    at uk.ac.babraham.FastQC.Utilities.QualityCount.<init>(QualityCount.java:33)
    at
    uk.ac.babraham.FastQC.Modules.Per Base Quality Scores. process Sequence (Per Base Quality Scores. jaVA:141)
    at uk.ac.graham. FastQC.Analysis.Analysis Runner.run(Analysis Runner.java:89)
    at java. lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

The strange thing is that thru the same data it worked ones so either I have somehow damaged the data or I am doing something wrong without realizing it.

I would really appreciate some help and I thank you for stopping by and reading my post
    Last edited by Robo; 01-25-2020, 06:08 AM.

How are you running the fastqc program? You re running out of memory.

If you are using the bat file on windows then be sure to edit that and increase the value for memory allocation by changing the number in "Xmx2g" to say "Xmx8g". Do not use > 80% of RAM that you actually have.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      How are you running the fastqc program? You re running out of memory.

If you are using the bat file on windows then be sure to edit that and increase the value for memory allocation by changing the number in "Xmx2g" to say "Xmx8g". Do not use > 80% of RAM that you actually have.
      Thank you for the quick reply I am running fastqc in a Ubuntu server from the terminal, the resources are allocated based on the needs of the program. Normally it was not giving problems for resources even because the server is quite powerful.
      ______total __|__used___|__free___|shared____|_buff/cache__|_available|
      Mem: |503909_| 283348__|__8718_|__296_____| 211842_____|___217920 |
      Swap:_____0______0________0_____
      the free -m command is giving me the up stated results. I read in a previous topic in here regarding fastqc that sometimes (when you have damaged the data some how) it tries to read files as a single line and thou runes out of memory but I do not know if this is my case.
      Thank you very much
      Last edited by Robo; 01-25-2020, 06:29 AM.

Comment

If you feel your files have become corrupt you can use "validateFiles" utility from Jim Kent to verify the files. Add execute permissions after you download the program. "chmod u+x validateFiles".

Comment

Dear GenoMax, Thank you for the help my files do not have errors despite one being an inode/symlink. at this point, I do not know what the error maybe and I'll write to my supervisor for an appointment.
          Thank you again, and all the best.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses