No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cufflinks runtime

Dear all,

I have a pair-end RNA sample (80 millions reads in total), which has been aligned using tophat2, and run cufflinks on it. It has been 1 day but the program is still at the "Inspecting reads and determining fragment length distribution." phase. Is there anything wrong? Is there a case where Cufflinks went into infinite looping?

I use -g options. My Cufflinks is not of the latest version. I am running it on a clustered server.

Thank you.

Wilson

Additional information on command:
    cufflinks -g refGenes.gtf -p 35 -u -N --total-hits-norm -b genome.fa -q accepted_hits.bam

Comment

I have the same problem, cufflink it's very very slow, and apparently it's not using the multithreading (option -p) properly. I don't know whether this is a bug or is the way they created.

Comment

Cufflinks takes a couples of hours with small samples, I've run 60 millions reads and it takes around 10 hours to complete, I have a Linux Workstation with these specs:

Dual-Core Intel Xeon Processor 5150, 4Cores, 2.66 GHz,, 16 GB DDR2 RAM and 1 TB HDD

If you're thinking if it's a problem, I recommend you to add the option [verbose] to make Cufflinks a little more informative of what's going on.

Samples Quality ALSO plays an important role to the time it takes to analize transcripts

Salutes

Comment

did you check if the multi threading is working correctly?

Comment

i'm not certain about this but i think there's a difference between multi-threadded programming (using multiple cores on a single workstation) and parallel programming (for a computing cluster). cufflinks is most certainly designed for multi-threadded execution on a single workstation but I don't think it's designed to fork it's processing across many different nodes on a cluster. I could be completely wrong but when running cufflinks on a cluster I think you're limited to the resources of a single node.

For 80 million reads, however, it shouldn't take very long at all to get through that first stage of determining the fragment length distribution and I'm not sure if that part even runs more than a single thread anyways. of course this depends on the CPU of the node you're running it on. imaging running 'samtools flagstat' on an alignment file - that's essentially what that step is with a bit of extra code. the multithreadded part is when it starts the assembly/quantification part. if you're using the '-b' option you're in for TWO trips through that process. that should also be the longest part of the process.
            /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
            Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Comment

I'm using a single workstation, and I checked: I used the verbose option, so I was able to see almost everything.
              when it was calculating the number of reads for each transcript (this is a multithread part), it used more than one thread just for few transcript, then it started to use only one thread for all the other (that's why takes so long)...
              I also check other programs such as bowtie and tophat and both of then are using multithreading perfectly...
              so I really thing this is a bug of the last version of cufflinks...
              hope they are gonna fix it, otherwise for huge dataset it will take forever...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses