Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• image coversion

Is there a tool or script that can be used to convert a file to an 8 or 16 bit TIFF? Thanks .

http://www.irfanview.com/ May depend on what format you are converting from but if it works then leave a comment in this thread.

Comment

I would simply use "convert" from the ImageMagick tools:

Code:
      convert -depth 8 input.jpg out.tiff

Comment

The problem I am having is an image file saved and is ~250MB, however windows throws an error (can not read from the source file or disk error), the data appears to be there but I am not sure how to access it or what to do to make it accessible. Thanks.

Comment

Microsoft has gotten very aggressive in sand boxing their systems.
          Organizational System admins have gone crazy locking down systems.

The command line tool icacls ( https://duckduckgo.com/?q=icacls )
          can be used to just grant world read/write permissions on a directory.
          The syntax is wacky.
          The chmod stuff in cygwin often doesn't fix the problem.

You may also need to copy the file somewhere on C: drive where hopefully you have better read write permissions.

Comment

The problem is I can not move them off the partion drive E: to the C drive without getting that error. There is data in the image file it is just not accessible and I do not know what to do. Thank you.

Comment

What is E: drive ? A USB stick? A portable? Network drive?

Can you run icacls on it?

Open a command line with cmd.exe , available at search for programs.

As I mentioned before, this problem seems to have gotten worse and worse lately.
              Default Microsoft policy changes via updates and admin aggressiveness account for these problems (I think). I see them more and more.
              Only way I've found around it is icacls; which is very hard to use.

If you are at at school or a business, talk with the local admins.

If you can't read the device/directory/file , then you have to change the permissions.
              If you can't change the permissions, you have to talk to your sysadmins.
              If it's your machine, you can run cmd.exe as admin and run icacls or use the Properties/Security right click thing in "windows explorer" or "computer" (which I don't use , I use icacls )
              Last edited by Richard Finney; 11-06-2014, 08:58 AM.

Comment

The E: drive is a partion where the data image is dumped. The read/write perrmisions are already assigned properly to this drive and this error just started happening. It is seemingly random and doesn't occur to every image and there doesn't seem to be a pattern. Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Have you tried irfanview? It should pretty much handle any image format unless the file you have is actually corrupt. You could potentially have a failing E drive based on your description of this occurring randomly (hardware wise).

What program is dumping the images and what kind of data is this?

Comment

I am trying to get access to download it (I work at a hospital and can not sownload it without approval). These are TIFF images that are being dumped from a scanner to the partition. Thank you .

Comment

Keep the possibility of failing hardware in mind (if this is happening randomly and not infrequently). You would want to be proactive, if this is irreplaceable data.

Comment

Thank you very much .

Comment

I finally installed irfanview and it seems to find, open, and save the 8-bit TIFF. However, only one channel seems to save not dual-channel. I am not to familiar with this software and need some asistance. Thank you.
                          Last edited by cmccabe; 11-06-2014, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses