Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NaOH denaturation with large volumen of low conc library

I am doing targeted sequencing using a <15000 kb panel, and because I consequently get rather low library conc (and try to limit the no of PCR cycles) I often use a somewhat large volumen of my library pools for the NAOH denaturation step prior flow cell loading (Nextseq 500 mid).
    For rutine library pools the protocol says:
    1. Dilute library pool to 2 nM in a 0.1% Tween buffer
    2. Denature 5 uL hereof with 5 uL 0.2 M NaOH, neutralize with 5 uL 0.2 M Tris-HCl
    3. Do this for all pools to be loaded.
    4. Add to each pool HT1 loading buffer to a total volumen (for all pools) of 1 mL.
    5. Load onto flowcell.

For the 15k panel:
    1. Skip step 1 since the conc is below 2 nM
    2. Denature 10 - 50 uL (depending on the conc of the library pool) in 0.2 M NaOH, neutralize with same amount of 0,2 M NaCl.
    3-5. Same.

The thing is that it seems as if the cluster generation some times is very inefficient (measured as cluster density per library copies). I suspect that it could have something to do with the larger ratio of (Library+NaOH+Hcl) / HT1 compared to the rutine protocol. In a rutine setup for 4 library pools it would be 4 pools * 5 uL* 3 = 60 uL Library+NaOH+Hcl and 940 uL HT1. The same numbers for 4 40 uL pools in the alternative protocol is 4*40*3 = 360 uL and 640 uL HT1 buffer.

Some concerns could be :
    1. A higher amount of Na Cl .
    2. Lower molarity of the HT1 constituents
    3. Insuffucient buffer capacity with less HT1 (pH is not optimal).

Does anyone have experience with low conc / high vol setup ?

Thanks.
    Mads
    Last edited by madras; 09-13-2018, 09:09 AM.

Try to search older threads. There are a few talking about using low concentration library.

Comment

Yeah thanks.
      I did look through these, e.g. this one. They seem to be somewhat old. My main concern I think is whether HT1 buffer need to be almost "undiluted" - i.e. constitute the majority of the volumen loaded.

Comment

Hi,

I recently ran Nextseq, I have observed that the cluster density and the total number of reads was very low when compare to the other experiments. Qscore was 97%, Cluster passing filter was above 95% but cluster density K/mm2 was around 94 and the total number of reads for 4 lanes was around 200 million reads. For my previous experiments usually I will get above 180 K/mm2 and around 400 to 500 million reads. I have just followed the same as previous experiments, but not sure where went wrong to get low cluster density and reads.

I have denatured the sample with 0.2 N NaOH, is it the sample that is behaving or something wrong with the preparation?

I used 4nM sample conc with 1.8 loading concentration.

Thanks&Regards,
        Kodavali

Comment

Background Current library preparation protocols for Illumina HiSeq and MiSeq DNA sequencers require ≥2 nM initial library for subsequent loading of denatured cDNA onto flow cells. Such amounts are not always attainable from samples having a relatively low DNA or RNA input; or those for which a limited number of PCR amplification cycles is preferred (less PCR bias and/or more even coverage). A well-tested sub-nanomolar library preparation protocol for Illumina sequencers has however not been reported. The aim of this study is to provide a much needed working protocol for sub-nanomolar libraries to achieve outcomes as informative as those obtained with the higher library input (≥ 2 nM) recommended by Illumina’s protocols. Results Extensive studies were conducted to validate a robust sub-nanomolar (initial library of 100 pM) protocol using PhiX DNA (as a control), genomic DNA (Bordetella bronchiseptica and microbial mock community B for 16S rRNA gene sequencing), messenger RNA, microRNA, and other small noncoding RNA samples. The utility of our protocol was further explored for PhiX library concentrations as low as 25 pM, which generated only slightly fewer than 50% of the reads achieved under the standard Illumina protocol starting with > 2 nM. Conclusions A sub-nanomolar library preparation protocol (100 pM) could generate next generation sequencing (NGS) results as robust as the standard Illumina protocol. Following the sub-nanomolar protocol, libraries with initial concentrations as low as 25 pM could also be sequenced to yield satisfactory and reproducible sequencing results.

I found this paper a couple weeks ago and have been playing around with lower inputs. I've tested with libraries as low as 100 pM on the MiSeq and have gotten good results.

The caveat is that the lower the concentration, the higher the volume of library needed.

These were the steps I did.
          1 - 120 uL of 100 pM library
          2 - 120 uL of 0.1 M NaOH
          3 - Mix and denature for 5 minutes.
          4 - Add 240 uL of 0.2 M Tris-HCl pH 7.0
          5 - Add 120 uL of HT1 buffer.
          6 - Add 20 uL of 20 pM PhiX and then take 600 uL and add to the cartridge.

This ends up being a 20 pM final library and so far we've gotten 900 to 1100 cluster density on the miseq with this. The sequencing quality has looked better too, overall.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses