No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sequencing rRNA with PGM

Hi,

I analyze data coming from Ion PGM RNAseq and I found 20% of reads that correspond to rRNA even if the library was constructed to extract mRNA (polyA). Did somebody detect the same problem with PGM prep library?

Thank you, Véronique

Is the rRNA from the same organism as your RNA-seq library? Bacterial rRNA is a common contaminant of some molecular biology reagents. Could it be the reason?

Comment

Hi Véronique,

What method of poly(A) enrichment did you use? Is this a human RNA sample? What you describe generally has its roots in the initial RNA enrichment/depletion, as opposed to the library preparation itself. In our experience, one can achieve <5% rRNA in the final library when starting with a good quality sample with mRNA enrichment. For example, we recommend using the Dynabeads mRNA DIRECT Micro Kit or the MicroPoly(A) Purist Kit from Life Technologies, depending on the amount of starting material that you have.

Alternatively, for whole transcriptome sequencing you could consider employing ribosomal RNA depletion, for example using the Ribominus Eukaryote Kit v2 also from Life Technologies.

There's a wealth of RNA-Seq expertise here on SEQanswers so I'm sure you'll find plenty of support here. Your Life Technologies Field Applications Scientist can also be helpful with respect to the PGM RNA-Seq library preparation itself. Lastly, I'd recommend checking out the Ion Community, specifically the main PGM discussion forum or the RNA-Seq Applications space.

Originally posted by vbiaudet View Post
      Hi,

I analyze data coming from Ion PGM RNAseq and I found 20% of reads that correspond to rRNA even if the library was constructed to extract mRNA (polyA). Did somebody detect the same problem with PGM prep library?

Thank you, Véronique

Comment

rRNA Ion Torren

It's the same organism....

Originally posted by gcristof View Post
        Is the rRNA from the same organism as your RNA-seq library? Bacterial rRNA is a common contaminant of some molecular biology reagents. Could it be the reason?

Comment

I doubt this would be a problem specific to the PGM.

If you are just looking at mature eukaryotic mRNAs, and have plenty of starting material, then using a two step process works very well 1) deplete rRNA first, and then 2) poly(A) pull down.

Also - keep in mind not all poly(A) kits are created equal; and not all rRNA depletion kits work well for all euks...
          @bioinformer
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanjacobs

Comment

Reads with rRNA and chimeric reads

Yes it's not specific of PGM but depend of the kit that is specific to the sequencer used, I have not the same problem with sequences coming from Illumina (same sample).

I have also a problem of chimeric reads, for me a chimeric read is for a read of 100 bases length, from 1 to 50 the read match perfectly gene1 and the same read from 51 to 100 match perfectly gene2, gene2 being very different from gene1, other location...
            Someone know a tool to detect or count chimeric reads from a sam file?

Thank you,

Originally posted by jonathanjacobs View Post
            I doubt this would be a problem specific to the PGM.

If you are just looking at mature eukaryotic mRNAs, and have plenty of starting material, then using a two step process works very well 1) deplete rRNA first, and then 2) poly(A) pull down.

Also - keep in mind not all poly(A) kits are created equal; and not all rRNA depletion kits work well for all euks...

Comment

Originally posted by vbiaudet View Post
              Yes it's not specific of PGM but depend of the kit that is specific to the sequencer used, I have not the same problem with sequences coming from Illumina (same sample).
              Illumina's (included) polyA reagents work better than any other kit we have ever tried. Nothing else even comes close.

I don't know if any other library construction kit includes the poly+ RNA purification step. If yours does not, then typically we would need to do 2 cycles of oligo dT binding step to effectively deplete the sample of rRNA.

To understand why this should be necessary, check out this paper. Specifically this section from its text:

Supplementary Note 4. Difference between actual and observed rRNA removal
              The observed post-depletion rRNA fraction does not accurately reflect the amount of rRNA that is actually removed. To illustrate this, let us assume a hypothetical total RNA sample containing 95 rRNA and 5 mRNA molecules (i.e. 95% observed rRNA). Removal of 80% of the rRNA leaves 19 rRNA molecules and the original 5 mRNAs (i.e. 79% observed rRNA). This demonstrates that the observed rRNA depletion is only 16% despite 80% actual removal.
              --
              Phillip

Comment

I am doing RNA-seq on bacterial RNA samples and I'm having terrible problems with rRNA contamination. Up to 90% of my reads are rRNA!

Currently I am using the Ambion MicrobExpress kit to remove rRNA (from S. aureus) but clearly it is not working. Does anyone else have any experience with bacterial RNA-seq? What rRNA removal kit are you using and what % of your reads are ribosomal?

Comment

anyone have experience with bacteria??

Comment

Originally posted by RonanC View Post
                    I am doing RNA-seq on bacterial RNA samples and I'm having terrible problems with rRNA contamination. Up to 90% of my reads are rRNA!

Currently I am using the Ambion MicrobExpress kit to remove rRNA (from S. aureus) but clearly it is not working. Does anyone else have any experience with bacterial RNA-seq? What rRNA removal kit are you using and what % of your reads are ribosomal?
                    We are about to try the Ribo-Zero kit on S. aureus. Did any of you make any more progress on bacterial systems?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses