No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing SEAS for Pathway Analysis of Differentially Expressed Genes

Hello SeqAnswers Community,

I am interested in using SEAS to do pathway analysis of my differentially expressed genes. I think I have installed all of the necessary dependencies, but I do not understand the following installation instruction (below). After extracting the files from seas-src-1.0.tar.gz, I couldn't find the "Seas.exe.config" or "appSettings" file in any of the extracted folders. So where is the file?

3. Change the app settings in Seas.exe.config (appSettings).

Example:
    <appSettings>
    <add key="FastaPath" value="data/fasta" />
    <add key="AssocPath" value="data/assoc" />
    <add key="RscriptPath" value="Rscript" />
    <add key="GseaPath" value="thirdparty/R/GSEA.R" />
    <add key="BlastPath" value="blastall" />
    </appSettings>

Thank you and God bless,
    Jason

If you have installed the dependencies then you need to replace the dummy values shown in the above example with actual directory paths from your local system (e.g. replace blastall with /file_path_to/blastall).

Comment

Good to hear from you GenoMax.

I imagine the dummy values you are talking about are in a Seas.exe.config file, but I don't see such a file. Is that what this #3 instruction is saying (e.g. go to the Seas.exe.config file and change the line that says <add key="BlastPath" value="blastall" /> to <add key="BlastPath" value="~/RNA_seq/bin/blastall" />)?

Thank you,
      Jason

Comment

I assume this is the package you are referring to: http://csbl.bmb.uga.edu/~xizeng/research/seas/

That seas.exe.config file is only in the windows binary tarball.

Edit: The file appears to be called "Console/app.config" in the linux install. That would be the one to edit.
        Last edited by GenoMax; 08-14-2013, 07:03 AM.

Comment

GREAT!!! Thank you!!!

Comment

Whoops, it looks like I do not have the correct MONO. I executed "yum install monodevelop" (using Fedora instead of Ubuntu right now) and that seemed to work, but when I tried to open the Console/app.config it gives me the warning:

There is no application installed for Mono application config files.
            Do you want to search for an application to open this file?

Do you know what the correct install command is for the MONO? I also tried:
            #Try "yum install mono" NOT RIGHT
            #Try "yum -y install mono-*" NOT RIGHT
            And did some searching online.

Thanks,
            Jason

Comment

Specifically, I need to get .NET 3.5 SP1 runtime environment (Mono 2.2 or above). Does this mean I need .NET 3.5 SP1 runtime environment and Mono 2.2 or above, or that Mono 2.2 or above is .NET 3.5 SP1 runtime environoment?

Thanks,
              Jason

Comment

http://www.mono-project.com/Mono_Installation says there is a way to install much newer versions than MONO 2.2 with "Fedora Core users: using yum" but I don't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by jmwhitha View Post
                  http://www.mono-project.com/Mono_Installation says there is a way to install much newer versions than MONO 2.2 with "Fedora Core users: using yum" but I don't see it.
                  Not the yum way but there are some directions for installing mono on Fedora core here: http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4625

Comment

So, I did the steps on http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4625.

When I got to this step:
                    edit the .bashrc file in your /home/<user> and insert and adjust the <user> to your home folder for your server
                    Code:
                    export PATH="/home/<user>/bin/mono/bin:$PATH"
                    export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/home/<user>/bin/mono/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH"
                    export MANPATH="/home/<user>/bin/mono/share/man:$MANPATH"
                    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/<user>/bin/mono/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
                    export MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU=75

I found that the .bashrc file was hidden. So I opened it in gedit and added the code putting in the correct <user>.

However, when I executed "mono-sgen --debug OpenSim.exe" the error below was returned.
                    Cannot open assembly 'OpenSim.exe': No such file or directory.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much!

Comment

As of now, I still can't open the app.config.

Comment

I am going out on a limb here but here goes. You do not have "OpenSim" installed (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page) which is why you are getting that error.

As for not being able to "open" app.config aren't you supposed to edit that file using an editor to adjust the file paths?

Comment

Excellent! Yes, you were right. I did not have opensim, and I should have commanded gedit instead of double clicking to try and open the app.config file.

So, with the first time use of the opensim, it asks a bunch of questions about regions

Where do I find this information to fill in?
                          Is it important that I configure the opensimulator if all I want to do is use SEAS?

Thanks again,
                          Jason

Comment

OpenSim is only used as an example AFAIK. If it opens then that means mono is correctly installed. On to SEAS.

Comment

Running SEAS

So I tried to run each of the following commands and they all gave me the same error (line 1: $'\357\273\277mono': command not found)
                              ./seas.sh
                              ./seas.sh annotate
                              ./seas.sh annotate --fastafile = ~/bin/CLJUmultifastaSample.txt --organism = 1538

What does that mean?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses