Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query on NonSilent and Silent mutations..

What is the ratio of non-silent to silent mutations resulting from single nucleotide substitutions that can be expected, if every base is equally mutable and there is no selection pressure?

Hope the question is clearly framed.

I am asking so that I can comment on whether my dataset deviates from this hypothetical ratio and hence an idea of how much "Selection" really occurred.

I wrote some code that basically goes through all 64 possible nucleotide triplets, looks at every possible 1-base substitution (9 possibilities each), and checks if that substitution changes the amino acid.

The code for this is available at https://gist.github.com/4162316

I get 576 total substitutions (64*9). 138 are silent and 438 are nonsilent. This would be a ratio of silent:nonsilent = 138:438, which is approx. 1:3.17

Does that make sense? This was done pre-coffee, so let me know if you find some issues.

Justin

Comment

Shyam La,

You'll also need to factor in the frequencies of the different types of mutations (e.g., transitions vs transversions) produced by your mutagen, as most exhibit significant biases.

Comment

Justin,

That is exactly what I wanted to know; mutate each codon and get the result. Thank you!
        But I'm guessing 1:3.17 is not a biologically meaningful ratio because typically cancers (which is what I am dealing with) have something like 1:2 and they also are subjected to some amount of selection pressure which means we would expect a ratio bigger than 1:3.17 (more non silent than silent).

HESmith's idea that mutagen biases have to be included is a valid argument, I guess..

Originally posted by BAMseek View Post
        I wrote some code that basically goes through all 64 possible nucleotide triplets, looks at every possible 1-base substitution (9 possibilities each), and checks if that substitution changes the amino acid.

The code for this is available at https://gist.github.com/4162316

I get 576 total substitutions (64*9). 138 are silent and 438 are nonsilent. This would be a ratio of silent:nonsilent = 138:438, which is approx. 1:3.17

Does that make sense? This was done pre-coffee, so let me know if you find some issues.

Justin

Comment

Yeah, that model might be too simplistic, but I guess it gives a baseline considering all things equal.

From what I've seen in the literature, the transition to transversion ratio is around 2-2.1 for the entire genome, and around 2.8-3.0 within the exome.

A more realistic approach might be to take a bunch of normal human exomes and calculate the silent to non silent mutations. Or, instead of trying to find silent/non-silent, maybe calculate the transitions to transversions in your dataset and see if that agrees with the numbers found in literature.

Justin

Comment

Perhaps this is useless since the thread is so old, but I have been thinking about this as well and came across this paper:

PMID:16783027

which seems to model SNS as well as regional biases to get expected numbers of missense vs nonsense mutations.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses