No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FamSeq vs Polymutt vs DeNovoGear

Hi,

I would like to call variants jointly in a trio, taking pedigree info into account. I have heard of three tools for doing this - FamSeq (http://odin.mdacc.tmc.edu/~wwang7/FamSeqIndex.html), PolyMutt (http://genome.sph.umich.edu/wiki/Polymutt) and DeNovoGear (http://sourceforge.net/projects/denovogear/).

Has anyone used any of these and can they advise me on what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Has anyone used any other tools for this?

Thanks!

Kath

I've used FamSeq (piece of cake to use and helpful authors) and PolyMutt (again easy to use and helpful authors) but not DeNovoGear. FamSeq mainly just provides probabilities whereas PolyMutt does a bit more, more active filtering wherease Famseq provides the probabilities and expects you to filter. I have heard good things about DeNovoGear but never used it. The two I've used are fast and easy, give them a go and look at your results.

Comment

Originally posted by Elsie View Post
      I've used FamSeq (piece of cake to use and helpful authors) and PolyMutt (again easy to use and helpful authors) but not DeNovoGear. FamSeq mainly just provides probabilities whereas PolyMutt does a bit more, more active filtering wherease Famseq provides the probabilities and expects you to filter. I have heard good things about DeNovoGear but never used it. The two I've used are fast and easy, give them a go and look at your results.
      I was trying to use polyMutt also, but could not understand how to generate .dat and .gif files.
      can you explain in detail how to get those 2 file format??

Comment

I am also trying to use PolyMutt. but I cannot understand how to generate .dat and .glf file. can you explain how to generate those files in detail?
        Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Kath View Post
          Has anyone used any other tools for this?
          I would be interested to see an answer to this question. Ideally a tool that doesn't require another variant caller (SAMtools or GATK) to provide initial genotype predictions (as FamSeq and, to an extent, Polymutt, do).

Matt

Comment

While this post is a little old, it is worth noting that the joint Bayesian variant calling of RTG Core does directly incorporate pedigree information during the primary variant calling, right where it can have the most effect.

Pedigree post-processors (such as FamSeq, Polymutt, DeNovoGear) are probably fine for SNPs, but for more complex variants (where the hypothesis space is much larger) the caller has already made a pedigree-oblivious decision as to which potential alleles to output GLs for.
            Len Trigg, Ph.D.
            Real Time Genomics
            www.realtimegenomics.com

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses