No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use DESeq to compare paires of conditions and isoforms expression

Hi,

I have RNAseq of 3 groups (n=2, n=3 and n=3) and I want to calculate the differential expression of 2 ADAR1 isoforms (ADAR p110 and ADAR p150) in group1 vs. group2 and group2 vs. group3.
    As I understand (http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10774 , https://www.biostars.org/p/73491/
    and https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioco...ry/050336.html), I can run DESeq and then simply call nbinomTest for each comparison.

My questitions are:
    1. When can I use the normalized table of the 3 conditions to compare pairs of groups and when shouldn't I? If not- which normalization can I do?
    2. I use STAR as aligner, and it can open gaps to align spliced reads. Can I use the ratio of different reads at the seperation junction between the 2 isoforms to determine the ratio between the 2 isoforms at each sample, and then to divide the normalized ADAR1 value of each sample to the 2 isoforms? If not- why, and what can I do to compare those similar isoforms?

Thanks,
    Lea

I wouldn't recommend DESeq (or even DESeq2) for looking at isoforms. Salmon and Kallisto can both be used with Sleuth and are more appropriate for your needs.

You can always use all three group, the individual comparisons then are just contrasts. Loading all three groups at once will likely produce slightly better results, in fact.

Comment

I didn't understand:
      What do you mean by saying: " the individual comparisons then are just contrasts"? When looking at the gene level: is it possible to normalize the 3 groups together and then to compare pairs of groups?
      Why do you say that loading the 3 groups at once produce slightly better results?

Comment

Originally posted by Lea Shallev View Post
        Iis it possible to normalize the 3 groups together and then to compare pairs of groups?
        Yes, this is called a "contrast".

Why do you say that loading the 3 groups at once produce slightly better results?
        Having all the groups in allows for slightly better variance estimation (at least this is the case for most tools that you're likely ever to use).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
          Yesterday, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses