Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DESeq2 questions

Hello, I have a function data sets. I want to look at which functions are over-representative. However, I am only interested in a subset of functions for example DNA synthesis.

Can I just use the functions related to DNA synthesis (subset table) to do the DESeq2 analysis or I have to use the whole dataset and later found which over-representative functions relative to DNA synthesis?

Thanks,
    Last edited by SDPA_Pet; 03-27-2017, 08:05 AM.

Are you mixing up differential expression analysis (DESeq2) with GO term enrichment analysis (e.g. GeneSCF)?

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      Are you mixing up differential expression analysis (DESeq2) with GO term enrichment analysis (e.g. GeneSCF)?
      Well, I don't think so, because DESeq2 can give you log2 fold change of each functions and whether the change significant or not.
      Last edited by SDPA_Pet; 03-27-2017, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SDPA_Pet View Post
        Can I just use the functions related to DNA synthesis (subset table) to do the DESeq2 analysis or I have to use the whole dataset and later found which over-representative functions relative to DNA synthesis?
        You should use the whole dataset and later on check if the genes up and down regulated correspond to a certain function.

Comment

DESeq2 expects raw read-level count data as input. I don't expect that it would be possible to get that from a function data set.

Comment

Originally posted by gringer View Post
            DESeq2 expects raw read-level count data as input. I don't expect that it would be possible to get that from a function data set.
            Hey guys, I am sorry about the confusion. The dataset that I use the gene counts dataset. (The gene coding for the functional genes).

So, should I use the subset or total dataset.

Comment

@SDPA_Pet: I think you have metagenomics data that you have somehow mapped as counts --> a function (so not a specific gene). Is that interpretation correct? That may be important for other posters to know.

In any case cherry picking data is not the way to go with DESeq2.

Comment

@SDPA_Pet: I think you have metagenomics data that you have somehow mapped as counts --> a function (so not a specific gene). Is that interpretation correct? That may be important for other posters to know.

In any case cherry picking data is not the way to go with DESeq2.
                Right? It's kind of tricky? In our field, we the conception of gene/functions are exchangeable.Anyhow, it is just counts table.

Just curious,GenoMax? What is difference between the gene table and function table in your field (I would guess your field is biomedical field)? Do you have an example?

Comment

DESeq2 is not operating on the identifiers but is considering the counts associated with them.

Code:
                  DNA_synthesis      50
                  TCA_Cycle        100
                  OR
                  Code:
                  BRCA1      50
                  TRPV1        100
                  should produce equivalent results from DESeq2.

Comment

Right, my questions about the dataset choosing.

In you example, let say DNA_systhesis total have 50 counts. I can go deeper hierarchical level
                    DNA systhesis

sub Function 1 5
                    sub function 2 3

TCA total 100
                    sub Fucition 1 5
                    sub fuction 2 3

I could choose two way to do this. First, use the total datasets which is 150 functions total, and look at which sub function related to DNA synthesis is overabundant.

Or, I could only extract the 50 subfunctions from DNA synthesis and run DEseq to find out which one is overabundant.

To me, I only care about one large category. However, the sample size wouldn't be same in the two different analyses

DESeq2 is not operating on the identifiers but is considering the counts associated with them.

Code:
                    DNA_synthesis      50
                    TCA_Cycle        100
                    OR
                    Code:
                    BRCA1      50
                    TRPV1        100
                    should produce equivalent results from DESeq2.
                    Last edited by SDPA_Pet; 03-28-2017, 07:52 AM.

Comment

You may want to post this question on Bioconductor DESeq2 support site where people with the statistical chops will answer (someone on here may do that as well).

Comment

You may want to post this question on Bioconductor DESeq2 support site where people with the statistical chops will answer (someone on here may do that as well).
                        Can you give the link? I google it and find different sites. Not sure which one is the authentic

Comment

Originally posted by SDPA_Pet View Post
                          Can you give the link? I google it and find different sites. Not sure which one is the authentic
                          Here is the bioconductor support site. Tag your question with deseq2.

Comment

Here is the bioconductor support site. Tag your question with deseq2.
                            Hi GenoMax,

Thanks. BTW, do you know is there any good forum to discuss R application. Bioconductor.org focus on molecular bioinformatics. I need some forums such as help people with plots (ggplots 2), multivariate statistics, etc.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                            • seqadmin
                              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                            0 responses