View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
Gina_P

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiguel View Post
This is really a question for Epicentre tech support. But, for what it is worth:

(1) We generally get extremely low yields of non-rRNA from plant total RNA compared to animal rRNA.

(2) 90% of the time when there is some protocol of this sort -- dealing with dilute solutions of RNA or DNA that produces a poor yield -- it is the result of attempting to recover that RNA or DNA via alcohol precipitation. Sadly it seems few people are taught that this this methodology is difficult and has a high failure rate in all but the hands of the most talented bench scientist. So if you see a protocol calling for you to precipitate RNA or DNA solutions at concentrations likely to be below 50 ng/ul, look for an easier method. Spend an extra few dollars on a zymo column rather than wasting weeks (or longer) trying to get the alcohol precipitation to work.

--
Phillip
Hi Phillip, thanks for your answer. I used RNAClean Ampure beads to recover my RNA - my experiences in the past with these beads has been good so I'm not sure if this step is the problem. I am in contact with an Epicentre rep right now... will post a reply if I get some good results!