No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polyA library preparation and RIN values

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and had some questions about the RNA bioanayzer data and nanodrop readings. I got a good concentration of 200-300ng/ul when I analysed my samples by nanodrop whereas on the bioanalyzer, the compay was not able to obtain any RIN value (Nobands obtained, not even a smear, only some clear area seen on the gel). They concluded saying all the RNA is degraded. Also, they say they are not able to make polyA library as the concentration after polyA shows only around 0.1-0.2 ng/ul and it is very low to get any sequencing results. Anyone can suggest something regarding this, coming from a totally inexperienced person..

Thanks

Nanodrop QC is only good to detect contaminants not for quantification. RNA quantification can be done using Qubit or similar method and integrity by gel or Bioanalyzer-like instruments. Quantification by Bioanalyzer is Ok for most application though it is not very accurate. I tend to agree with your service provider.

Comment

Has anyone bought a "Nanodrop One"? It is supposed to be able to analyze your spectrum of your sample and deconvolute the spectra of nucleic acids, protein, guanidine and phenol. That is, supposedly it can correct for the presence of the latter three common spectral contaminants of nucleic acid preps/methods and give you an accurate nucleic acid concentration.

I don't imagine it will be able to distinguish between RNA and DNA, so genomic DNA prep concentrations will still usually be wrong. But for RNA preps, DNA usually isn't a major contaminant.

If it works and renuka22 had one, it would have saved him or her some troubles...

--
      Phillip
      Last edited by pmiguel; 05-19-2017, 11:12 AM.

Comment

No, I have never used this. Would have been a good idea though..

Comment

Does doing polyA treatment lowers RIN values? My polysomal RNA values showed good RIN values of 9.5..but when I did the polyA, it was in the range of 5-6. The concentration could not be detected by qubit high sensitivity kit. Is the polyA treatment degrading the samples?

Thanks

Comment

RIN number is valid only for total RNA and one of the main factors in its calculation is 18S/28S ratio. With a successful polyA selection rRNA would be excluded so RIN number is not meaningful. If after polyA selection you still see 18S or 28S bands then it has been less successful. See Agilent application note about RIN number: https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/a...989-1165EN.pdf

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses