Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Analysis for Genomics, free HarvardX course, starts April 7

Rafael Irizarry and I have been working on a free online course, Data Analysis for Genomics (PH525x) which starts on April 7, 2014 and runs for 8 weeks:

An introduction to basic statistical concepts and R programming skills necessary for analyzing data in the life sciences.

Our target audience are postdocs, graduate students and research scientists that are tasked with analyzing genomics data, but perhaps do not have formal training. The course will start with the very basics, but will ramp up rather quickly and end with workflows for genome variation, RNA-seq, DNA methylation, and ChIP-seq.

The class consists of lectures and computer labs. The lectures cover foundational topics such as exploratory data analysis, basic statistical inference, linear regression, modeling with parametric distributions, empirical Bayes, multiple comparison corrections and smoothing techniques. The labs will run parallel to the lectures and use R/Bioconductor to explore and analyze genomics data. The lecture and the labs have accompanying R markdown files for reproducing plots and analyses, which we will link to each week (in a few weeks we will also have a complete repository of all the Rmd files).

I have signed up!! Looking very much forward to this.

Comment

Great! Signed up

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I hope there's a discussion forum for the class.

Comment

course availability

Is the material for this course archived anyway?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Yes, the course is archived. AFAIU you can just go and watch the videos and take the quizzes.

But note that we will be redoing the class starting in January, after breaking up the material, adding some new lectures, and creating more interactive assessments.

See announcement and links here:

Comment

I'm still able to access the courseware, but I can't find it archived by searching. It looks like it will be offered again next year with a different format. Search for PH525.

Comment

Michael: Do you know if the material for the original course will remain available just till new modules start or forever?

I can see the "archived" course since I had signed up but one can't find it by searching as blakeoft pointed out.

Comment

In my understanding, the old one is archived forever.

I guess in search they want to prioritize the upcoming classes.

The link to the old class is https://courses.edx.org/courses/Harv...5x/1T2014/info

I know that students were still signing up recently, but I don't know how that works once we have the new class started.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses