No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanka a bunch.

Originally posted by Tengfei Liu View Post
    You can use cutadapt to trim both 5' and 3' bps. The fastx_clipper can only trim 3' end. When you use cutadapt, you must use cutadapt -g firstly, and use the processed sequence to do cutadapt -a. If you use -g and -a at the same time, it will only cut one end.

Comment

I did the same way.

Thanks for feedback.

Originally posted by Michael.Ante View Post
      I always use the fastx_trimmer; you can use the -f and -l options to set the first and the last base to be kept.

Comment

So, just following up on this topic. It has been incredibly helpful. We shouldn't trim the first bases at the 5' end and try to perform the de novo assembly that way correct?

Thanks!

Comment

It depends on the library prep. Illumina fragment libraries typically have adapters on the right (3') end, so if you trimmed to the left from the adapter you'd lose all of your genomic sequence. For long mate pair libraries, the answer depends on the protocol.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Brian.
            I have mRNA Illumina 100bp paired end reads. I have already removed the adapters, but still have that same the high variation on GC% at the 5' end. For the library prep, TruSeq mRNA prep was used, that's why I am guessing I have the same 5' end bias described before on my dataset. Any thoughts?

Comment

BBDuk can trim a set number of bases on the left or right side of a read. However, there are some library-prep protocols that are biased, especially near the read start, and thus have suspicious base-frequency histograms, even though they are correct. So, before you trim, I suggest you map the reads to a reference (even the lowest-quality assembly is OK) to determine whether there is actually a higher error rate in the first X bases of the read. If not, then you should not trim them.

With an assembly, you can determine it like this:

bbmap.sh in=reads.fq mhist=mhist.txt qhist=qhist.txt

This will give you histograms of the average qualities by read position, and match/substitution/insertion/deletion/N rates by read position. That will allow you to determine whether the stated read quality is accurate, and thus whether you need to trim the ends of reads.

If you want to trim a set number of bases on each side, you can use BBDuk's "ftl" (force-trim left) and "ftr" (force-trim right) flags to set the limits of where to trim.

Comment

The fragmentation sites may be biased, depending on how fragmentation was done. Try mapping with BBMap and using the 'mhist' output, which shows the error rate by read position. If the error rate on the 5' end is not much higher than anywhere else, there's no need to trim it.

Comment

Use Trimmomatic

Comment

I use TrimGalore to trim adapter and the fastqc result also show that there are biases in 5' end, several kmers occurring.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses