No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplication level of RNA-seq data

Hello everyone!

I got my 100bp paired-end RNA-seq data today, FastQC told me that the duplication rate is above 60%. I searched around and found that it is common to get a high dup level with RNA-seq. Is that normal?

Should I remove the duplication? I heard some discussions in this forum that if the duplicates were removed then I cannot compare the highly expressed genes since the max depth of coverage at one point is 200 with 100bp sequencing data.

thanks!

200 is the maximum coverage per base if you have unstranded single end reads, with paired ends you can have many fragments starting at the same point if the other end differs.

FastQC only looks at the reads, what you should do is calculate the library complexity after alignment (e.g. with Picard). Looking at the alignments at lowly expressed genes also helps to determine if the library is over-sequenced.

Comment

Thank you Chipper! I will try your suggestions.

In your experiences, do you think the >=60% duplication level given by FastQC is too high? Or I will need to look at the alignment results to see if that was too high.

Comment

What was the yield? We usually aim for less than 100 ng/ul but some RNA samples amplify better than others.

Comment

In my experience (from what i've seen and what i've read), you can expect to see 60-90% duplication when u run a fastqc on ur data! Don't really know how it correlates to the real picture though!

Comment

FastQC bases it's duplication estimates on the first 50bp of sequence only. It also makes no allowance for paired end data. High FastQC duplication rates for RNA-Seq is normal.
            To get a better idea you need to look at the mapping co-ordinates.
            As Chipper says, use the Picard library complexity estimator. For example, I just ran and RNA-Seq sample with 64.59% (Read1) and 58.13% (Read 2) FastQC duplication, but only 0.32% duplication using the Picard library complexity estimator.

Comment

Interpretation of the PICARD results

Hi, Guys
              I was also trying to estimate library complexity with PICARD with my paired end data, I used the tophat aligned reads as input, according to the picard, "One or more files to combine and estimate library complexity from." what does it exactly mean ? Does multiple inputs mean the bam files from each duplicate of biological samples?

If so, how to add? Should I just add extra files in the INPUT argument

java -Xmx2g -jar ~/Desktop/apps/picard-tools-1.92/EstimateLibraryComplexity.jar INPUT= accepted_hits025.bam <more bam files here?> OUTPUT= picard_file MIN_IDENTICAL_bases=6 MAX_DIFF_RATE=0.02

I also get a table from the run of the command, but any clue how to understand this file? I also attached part of the table (It is too long to attach)

Thank you in advance!
              ## METRICS CLASS net.sf.picard.sam.DuplicationMetrics
              LIBRARY UNPAIRED_READS_EXAMINED READ_PAIRS_EXAMINED UNMAPPED_READS UNPAIRED_READ_DUPLICATES READ_PAIR_DUPLICATES READ_PAIR_OPTICAL_DUPLICATES PERCENT_DUPLICATION ESTIMATED_LIBRARY_SIZE
              Unknown 0 6501528 0 0 2054652 1644248 0.316026 27100851

## HISTOGRAM java.lang.Integer
              duplication_group_count Unknown
              1 3808007
              2 376471
              3 78976
              4 57845
              5 19068
              6 26550
              7 8180
              8 17601
              9 4826
              10 10475
              11 3229
              12 5810

Comment

Picard estimates that your library has 27100851 molecules.

Comment

Thanks. Still not quite clear to me. Does that mean 27,100,851 mRNA, exon or something else? seems unlikely are mRNAs, the read pair examined in total is 6,501,528. Also, it seems that the duplicate_group_count are some kind of id, how could i get back and check those duplicated reads? Really appreciate your help in clarifying this.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses