No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sequencing Degenerate Sequences

Hello!

My research right now involves sequencing DNA sequences that were amplified by degenerate primers in PCR. I have been informed by Laragen that it's not possible to sequence my PCR amplicons because of the degeneracy at the beginning and end of each sequence. So I have had to use TOPO clone libraries to get M13 sequences incorporated at the very beginning and ends of my amplicons. Using this approach, I have gotten sequence results, but I am wondering if I am overlooking a possibly easier protocol.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Can't you put M13 or NGS primer sequences in a 5' tail to the 3' degeneracy ? That way your amplicons would be directly sequencable with no extra steps

Comment

How many do you want to sequence & how long are your amplicons? Deep sequencing on a NGS platform would give you a lot of data without cloning, but if you don't want/need lots of sequence the cost might be an issue.

Comment

Agree with krobison, PCR amplicons produced using denegerate primers can be sequenced using MiSeq. The cost is dependent upon the number of amplicons/samples (multiplexing) and amplicon length (different library construction methods).

Comment

Thank you for your replies!
          We tried using M13 as part of our primers, but the PCR was not successful. And at the end, if it does work, it's not guaranteed that there won't be a variation of the same gene within our samples, which is why we're using degenerate primers anyway. It's worth trying to optimize further, or maybe just increase the concentration of degenerate primers when sending the primers for sequencing.

The miseq method sounds good though it's more pricey than I'd like it to be. I have 8 different pcr reactions for every sample (not sure about number of amplicons, it very much varies), and I have around 20 samples.

I haven't done a miseq experiment before. It seems like you can run everything on one lane with multiplexing. And every lane is 2000 bucks or so + library prep?

Comment

I forgot to answer the question about amplicon length: it varies between 300-400 bp for these 8 sets of primers

Comment

The amplicons are within the sequencing length so it is possible to contruct sequencing libraries directly using secondary PCRs, which could significantly reduce the library construction costs. A single MiSeq run should produce about 75,000 pair end reads per primer set, assuming that you would run 20 samples in the single run and it costs less than $2000 per run. If sequencing adaptors and barcodes can be added using secondary PCRs, library construction costs should be manageable. Otherwise, you can always add sequencing adaptor and index using library construction kits, which will cost more.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
              0 responses