Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tophat2 normal alignment rate

Hi there, I am a complete RNA seq newbie, so let me excuse myself preventively for any stupid questions.

Recently I started working with mouse RNA seq data, after running the data though Tophat2 I got a 91.0% overall read alignment rate and a 83.1% concordant pair alignment rate.

Could somebody with more experience in the field tell me if this are good alignment values, and if not which are the normal values I should expect ?

Thanks in advanced.

what read length, not bad if 100mers

Comment

Sorry I knew I had forgotten to mention something, the reads have a length of 101.
      Last edited by JJP; 07-18-2013, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Dear Jon
        I have posted the same problem here;
        Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

any solution ?

Originally posted by Jon_Keats View Post
        what read length, not bad if 100mers

Comment

I just finished running tophat on about 20 cancer samples and my concordant pair alignment rate ranged between 50-60% for 50 bp reads. Should I be worried? Will this have an impact on the downstream cufflinks/cuffdiff analysis?

Comment

I presume you are talking about *human* samples. The 50-60% rate is low. I suspect that since the samples are more-or-less uniform in their mapping rate then you won't have too many problems with cufflinks/cuffdiff aside from not having as much data to work with.

Did you run non-cancer controls? Or are those part of the "20" you mention above. How about replicates -- technical and biological?

Comment

Yes, human samples. We did run non-cancer controls but they did not have this problem. What do you think this means? Is this more a reflection of biology or an indication of a technical issue? We do not have any technical replicates, only biological.

Comment

The lack of technical replicates is not a big concern -- although they can help troubleshooting usually the technical process is flawless. Although when problems do occur you really wish that you had technical reps. :-)

As for the question "is a 50-60% concordant rate normal for cancer samples when the non-cancer samples have a higher concordant rate?" ... I am going to have to skip on answering this. I simply do not have enough experience with human cancer samples to say one way or another. Cancer genome rearrangements can be widespread so may 50-60% if expected. Can anyone with more human experience chime in?

BTW: You may wish to make a new thread on this topic with the keywords "human"
                and "cancer" in it. That might attract more knowledgeable people.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses