No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowtie2 --al and --un: no output

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to align a set of paired-end reads from 75-750 bp in length with bowtie2. My previous workflow used bowtie1 and relied on the --un and --al flags to filter reads. So, when the latest bowtie2 beta added support for these flags, I decided to try it out.

Unfortunately, when I use these flags with bowtie2, I do not get any output. That is, if the flag is --un <filename>.fastq, the program creates the file <filename>.fastq but without any data inside (filesize = 0). I was expecting something along the lines of the bowtie1 output, i.e. --un <filename>.fastq creates files <filename>_1.fastq and <filename>_2.fastq. That is not the case, however, and I was wondering if anyone was experiencing the same problems or had found a solution. By the way, the same behavior results when I use the --al flag as well.

This is the version information from my OS X 10.7.2 installation
    > bowtie2 --version
    /usr/local/bin/bowtie2-align version 2.0.0-beta5
    64-bit
    Compiler: gcc version 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.1.00)
    Options: -O3 -m64 -msse2 -funroll-loops -g3
    Sizeof {int, long, long long, void*, size_t, off_t}: {4, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8}

I also ran the same commands on a 64-bit Ubuntu 11.10 installation and the behavior was no different. Unless the --al and --un flags actually don't work, I'm at a loss to explain what's happening. Any ideas?

Hi,

I've not working too much with bowtie2, so I decided to test it and see what happens. This is my version (linux):
    version 2.0.0-beta5
    64-bit
    Built on compute-0-38.local
    Thu Dec 15 01:02:29 EST 2011
    Compiler: gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-46)

My first surprise was the the reference needs to be indexed with the own bowtie2-build (doesn't work with my previous index of bowtie1). But the options --un and --al seems to work. Could you place the exact commands you're using? At the ubuntu installation, do you get any info on the terminal why isn't working?

Comment

Aren't you supposed to use --un-conc for paired-end reads? (which would be equivalent to the old --un) I just started using this today and it seems to work.

Comment

I just tried the --un-conc and --al-conc and now it's working. The output file is named a little differently, but at least the reads are being written. Now I just need to tweak the rest of the parameters...

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses