No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing contamination with BBDUK

Hello,

I have just used BBDUK to remove adaptor sequence and phix from some raw illumina HiSeq 2X100bp reads and I'm really pleased with the improvement it has made in my sequences reported by FASTQC. I was just hoping someone could help me with a couple of questions to help me better understand how BBDUK removes contamination from a read, and if I'm using it correctly.

(1)When using BBDUK to remove adaptors, I chose to use mink to look for shorter adaptor sequence in my sequences than the chosen K=31 by using mink. Below are my parameters.

./bbduk.sh in=R1_001.fastq in2=R2_001.fastq minlen=51 mink=9 ktrim=r tbo tpe K=31 hdist=1 hdist2=1 ref=adapters.fa stats=stats_adaptor.txt out=R1_clean.fq out2=R2_clean.fq outm=ER1_adaptormatch.fq outm2=R2_adaptormatch.fq

This worked beautifully but it occurred to me that to use mink, I had to choose a side to trim from. I chose ktrim=r, but after I had done ktrim=r, am I meant to be repeating the process using the same commands as above and only changing ktrim=l so that both ends of the read have been checked for shorter kmers of contamination and then trimmed?

(2) My second question is about the removal of phix. I notice that in the post on seqanswers called "Introducing BBDuk: Adaptor/Quality Trimming and Filtering" that mink is not used unlike the adaptor search, just simply K=31. Is this because adaptor sequence is more likely to be present as a small fragment than the phix sequence?

I apologise if these are basic questions, I'm a masters student and I'm trying to ensure I thoroughly DQ my reads as well as understand all of the operations being performed.

Thank you all for your help.

In Illumina data the adapter contamination should only be on the 3'-end of the read, if all things have gone as expected. So doing just ktrim=r is fine.

If your data was multiplexed (i.e. it had an index/tag) then you should not have to worry about phiX. Illumina's phiX does not have an index and should get discarded as part of the normal demultiplexing process.

@Brian recently provided this additional bbduk command to check for and remove phiX sequence and other known sequencing artifacts (e.g. control sequences from TruSeq kit).
    Code:
    bbduk.sh in=trimmed.fq.gz out=filtered.fq.gz k=31 ref=artifacts,phix ordered cardinality

Comment

Hi GenoMax,

Thank you very much for your quick reply and explanations. I believe my data was multiplexed (it was already sequenced when I started my project), but BBDUK did find some phix sequence and discarded them into the outm files so I could be wrong. Also thank you for that command, I will give it a go on my sequences.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
      0 responses