Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• library: control signal ratio

i've been poking around with the last 60 or so 454 runs that we've done at our core facility. i saw a pattern that i wanted to share and see if anyone else sees a similar pattern.
    we've had pretty good success this year with Ti but we had a few notable runs where we got read distributions such that the left tail was very long (for amplicons). One of these runs was essentially a rerun of a previous Ti amplicon. The first run produced over 400 Mb and the rerun produced about 150 Mb.
    when i looked at the signal for the library key divided by the signal of the signal for the control key, the runs that looked good had a ratio of ~1 to 1.7. For runs that didn't work well, the ratio was invariably above 2.0. For reference, our cpb for Ti amplicons is usually 1 and the % + is usually 9-11%.
    I'm wondering if you could check this signal ratio with qPCR before burning through reagents. Thoughts/comments much appreciated.

Originally posted by gallus View Post
    when i looked at the signal for the library key divided by the signal of the signal for the control key, the runs that looked good had a ratio of ~1 to 1.7. For runs that didn't work well, the ratio was invariably above 2.0. For reference, our cpb for Ti amplicons is usually 1 and the % + is usually 9-11%.
    Interesting, but... what do you mean exactly with 'signal' here?

Comment

the signal is the intensity of a given nucleotide on a bead. Typically key (CATG/ATGC and the like) signals are 400-500 and the library (GACT/TCAG) is above that by about 1.5-2X. the keySignalperBase in the 454RuntimeMetrics where you can get the exact numbers. You can also take a look at histograms of the signals under the Signals tab in GSRun Browser as well. I typically use awk ($ awk 'date|region|key' 454RuntimeMetrics.txt > output.txt) to summarize.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses