Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TopHat(1.3.2) reports error!help!

Mapping RNA-Seq reads to reference with TopHat(v-0.1.3.2) results in error in that
    Code:
    Mapping right_kept_reads against genome_o_6 with bowtie
    gzip:stdout:Broken pipe
    10Error:[Error 2]No such file or directory:'./tophat_out/temp/right_kept_reads_missing.fq'
    what's happened to gzip with right_kept_reads?The left_kept_reads was processed properly.
    Need your help,thanks!

holywoool, have you found the answer to your question yet? I am getting the same error when I try to run Tophat. Does anybody know what is going on? Here is my entire message:

[Wed Nov 16 16:17:54 2011] Beginning TopHat run (v1.3.3)
    -----------------------------------------------
    [Wed Nov 16 16:17:54 2011] Preparing output location /u/home/mcdb/arturj/B1/
    [Wed Nov 16 16:17:54 2011] Checking for Bowtie index files
    [Wed Nov 16 16:17:54 2011] Checking for reference FASTA file
    [Wed Nov 16 16:17:54 2011] Checking for Bowtie
    Bowtie version: 0.12.5.0
    [Wed Nov 16 16:17:54 2011] Checking for Samtools
    Samtools Version: 0.1.18
    [Wed Nov 16 16:17:54 2011] Generating SAM header for hg19_c
    [Wed Nov 16 16:17:54 2011] Preparing reads
    format: fastq
    quality scale: phred64 (reads generated with GA pipeline version >= 1.3)
    [Wed Nov 16 16:17:54 2011] Reading known junctions from GTF file
    Left reads: min. length=49, count=164672067
    [Wed Nov 16 17:01:35 2011] Mapping left_kept_reads against hg19_c with Bowtie
    [Wed Nov 16 17:01:35 2011] Processing bowtie hits

gzip: stdout: Broken pipe
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/u/home/mcdb/arturj/tophat-1.3.3.Linux_x86_64/tophat", line 2604, in ?
    sys.exit(main())
    File "/u/home/mcdb/arturj/tophat-1.3.3.Linux_x86_64/tophat", line 2563, in main
    user_supplied_deletions)
    File "/u/home/mcdb/arturj/tophat-1.3.3.Linux_x86_64/tophat", line 2218, in spliced_alignment
    segment_len)
    File "/u/home/mcdb/arturj/tophat-1.3.3.Linux_x86_64/tophat", line 1820, in split_reads
    zreads = ZReader(reads_filename, params.system_params, False)
    File "/u/home/mcdb/arturj/tophat-1.3.3.Linux_x86_64/tophat", line 1190, in __init__
    self.file=open(filename)
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/u/home/mcdb/arturj/B1/tmp/left_kept_reads_missing.fq'

And the bash script calling it..

PATH=$PATH:/u/home/mcdb/arturj/bowtie-0.12.5/:/u/home/mcdb/arturj/tophat-1.3.3.Linux_x86_64/:/u/home/mcdb/arturj/samtools-0.1.18/
    export PATH
    export BOWTIE_INDEXES=/u/home/mcdb/arturj/bowtie-0.12.5/indexes/

tophat --solexa1.3-quals -g 1 -G /u/home/mcdb/arturj/hg19_refflat.gtf -p 8 -o /u/home/mcdb/arturj/B1 hg19_c /u/home/mcdb/arturj/B1/B1.fastq

Please help!

Comment

Indeed,there needs a "-Q" option in the TopHat's command.Mine was done after adding "-Q".You may have a try.

Comment

That definitely does not help me. I tried it, despite the manual saying it's for separate quality files. Has anyone else had this problem?
        Artur

Comment

And thank you for your response, holywoool!

Comment

I guess tat means that there are no unaligned reads..
            Why dont you simulate some reads and cat them to your read files and then try??

Comment

Where do you see the release of version 1.3.1 and 1.3.3? They are downloadable from the site, but nothing about them is mentioned on the TopHat site.

Comment

Setting -g means you won't see any reads that align more than once as it sets both the -m and -k flags in Bowtie to 1:

-k <int> report up to <int> good alignments per read (default: 1)
                -m <int> suppress all alignments if > <int> exist (def: no limit)

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Doktor View Post
                  Where do you see the release of version 1.3.1 and 1.3.3? They are downloadable from the site, but nothing about them is mentioned on the TopHat site.
                  I see it only on the downloads site... http://tophat.cbcb.umd.edu/downloads/
                  It might be just a bug in this version, but I did try running 4 different datasets at a different time, and it worked fine. I've kept all the same options. The only thing that has changed is the data. The ONLY thing I can think of is that maybe it's an OOM error, just cleverly disguised. However, I'm running my data on 8 processors with 8 Gb each. Should be enough for a 30 Gb fastq file, no? After this try, I'll try going back to 1.3.1 or earlier.

cjp, I've been doing the -g option on all my data, and it's never not worked. I'm trying it without the -g argument, however. I'll let you know in a little bit if it works.

Comment

Still nothing.. Tried changing the annotation file from refflat to ensembl, tried removing the '-g' option, -Q (even though I don't see how that would work at all), and it's impossible for there to not be any unaligned transcripts with 164672067 49-bp reads. From my experience, only about half of the reads align anyway, so the probability of nothing aligning would be 2^(-8236033). Maybe I'll try using an earlier version or something, unless someone has any other suggestions?

Comment

-Q is usually for SOLiD colour-space.

When debugging failed TopHat runs, you can also try to run the individual commands from the command line yourself.

In the logs/ sub-directory of your output directory there should be a file called run.log which shows the commands that TopHat runs. There are also other log files in there - look to see if you can find errors (especially in the newest one or two files). Otherwise try running each command by itself from the directory you started TopHat in and see if and where empty files are made. The tmp stuff needed to do this is usually kept if a run fails.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by cjp View Post

When debugging failed TopHat runs, you can also try to run the individual commands from the command line yourself.

In the logs/ sub-directory of your output directory there should be a file called run.log which shows the commands that TopHat runs. There are also other log files in there - look to see if you can find errors (especially in the newest one or two files). Otherwise try running each command by itself from the directory you started TopHat in and see if and where empty files are made. The tmp stuff needed to do this is usually kept if a run fails.

Chris
                        Excellent suggestion. I will try it once I get out of my Tryptophan coma

Comment

And once our computing cluster is up. Boo, maintenance!

Comment

Wowee. So I evidently was using the wrong index. I thought hg19_c was complete (it's prebuilt from the Bowtie website). I was supposed to use hg19.

Originally posted by cjp View Post

Chris
                            However, Chris, I learned a lot about debugging trying to find this error. Thank you greatly for the suggestion!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                            • seqadmin
                              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                            0 responses