No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maq for 454 data?

Hi,
    Is it possible to use Maq for 454 data? which are the input files needed? if no, is there anything similar for 454?

Hi litali,

I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do, the MAQ website FAQ section actually says: "Maq maps short reads to the reference and calls the genotypes from the alignment. It is speficially designed for Illumina-Solexa/AB-SOLiD reads, not for 454 or capillary ones." Personally, I'd like to use it too since I'm not too hot on Roche software.

If you want to run it and see for yourself, you can convert your sff files into sanger fastq (several methods below), make a reference fasta file, and follow the commands shown at the MAQ website (there's an easyrun).

Join qual and fna file into fastq:
    (a) http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2775
    Convert sff into fastq:
    (b) There's also sff2fastq at github.

The files came out the same with either code.
    Last edited by Naujv; 07-22-2010, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Hi litati,

I just tried using maq on my 454 data. What I'm seeing from the alignment (maq mapview all.map > $someoutputfile) are my sequences are being cut off at 34 nts.

Comment

Try bwasw (a mode of bwa)

Comment

I'm pretty sure MAQ can only map reads 63bp or smaller.

Comment

krobison, thanks! I appreciate your input.

Took your advice and tried bwasw, but sort of ran into a problem with my alignments. My CIGAR string has "S" in them. Found another post where I guess there's a problem with the CIGAR ??

If you have time, I would like your thoughts (and others) regarding using bwasw for reference sequences (not whole genome and not whole chromosomes). Mine are made up of 100 non-overlapping sequences in fasta format.

Comment

Originally posted by Naujv View Post
              krobison, thanks! I appreciate your input.

Took your advice and tried bwasw, but sort of ran into a problem with my alignments. My CIGAR string has "S" in them. Found another post where I guess there's a problem with the CIGAR ??

If you have time, I would like your thoughts (and others) regarding using bwasw for reference sequences (not whole genome and not whole chromosomes). Mine are made up of 100 non-overlapping sequences in fasta format.
              The "S" character indicates soft-clipping, which is described in the SAM specification. If you still think it is a bug, could you post the SAM record in question?

Comment

nils thanks for the help! i'm new (as in today new) to bwa. it may not be an error/bug, though i tried to look where the alignment is, i couldn't find it. the sequence looks like one big ugly repeat, so maybe this is spurrious. maybe you can help me understand what 40 in the line is? mapping quality? where does good and bad lie?

GKTESVC03GKDWH 16 ref|NG_023054.1|:5000-113024 77792 40 46S48M143S * 0 0 ATTCCATTCCATTCCATTCGGTTTNAACGGTATTCCAATCGATTCCATTCCATTCCATTCCATTCCATTCCATTCCATTCCTTTCCATTCCATTACGGATGATTCCATTCCATTGCATTCCATTCCATTCCATTCCCCTGTACTCGGGTTGATTCCATTCCATTCCATTCCAATCCATGCCATTCCACTCGTGTTGATTCCATTCTTTCCATTCCATTCAAGTTGATTCCATTCCAT .199;:992131111:.,.--,,,!--.--17995566999:=BBABBBBBDDDAAA????DAAAAADBBBAA>=<900000..22:;9;;<62444444<<==>=>>>>>AB===A?????DDDDFFDDFFFF;;99<??@@<<44488ABBBBDDDFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFHFDCCCFFFF888CCGFFFFGDFFFFC??@A????FCCDDHF
                AS:i:44 XS:i:0 XF:i:2 XE:i:6 XN:i:0

Comment

Originally posted by Naujv View Post
                  nils thanks for the help! i'm new (as in today new) to bwa. it may not be an error/bug, though i tried to look where the alignment is, i couldn't find it. the sequence looks like one big ugly repeat, so maybe this is spurrious. maybe you can help me understand what 40 in the line is? mapping quality? where does good and bad lie?

GKTESVC03GKDWH 16 ref|NG_023054.1|:5000-113024 77792 40 46S48M143S * 0 0 ATTCCATTCCATTCCATTCGGTTTNAACGGTATTCCAATCGATTCCATTCCATTCCATTCCATTCCATTCCATTCCATTCCTTTCCATTCCATTACGGATGATTCCATTCCATTGCATTCCATTCCATTCCATTCCCCTGTACTCGGGTTGATTCCATTCCATTCCATTCCAATCCATGCCATTCCACTCGTGTTGATTCCATTCTTTCCATTCCATTCAAGTTGATTCCATTCCAT .199;:992131111:.,.--,,,!--.--17995566999:=BBABBBBBDDDAAA????DAAAAADBBBAA>=<900000..22:;9;;<62444444<<==>=>>>>>AB===A?????DDDDFFDDFFFF;;99<??@@<<44488ABBBBDDDFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFHFDCCCFFFF888CCGFFFFGDFFFFC??@A????FCCDDHF
                  AS:i:44 XS:i:0 XF:i:2 XE:i:6 XN:i:0
                  Have a real close read of the SAM specification. You will be going back to this quite a bit. The 5th column is the PHRED-scaled mapping quality. Looking at the CIGAR field (6th column), "46S48M143S", there seems to be 48 bases matching your reference, with the first 46 and last 143 soft-clipped.

Comment

Thank you! Going through 2008 MAQ paper now.

Comment

Hi All,

We have a MAQ that works with 125bp Illumina read and we also a version that works with 454 data. Its not in open domain. If anybody is interested then please send me a request at [email protected]. Thanks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses