Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$550 is for catalog # FC-420-1004, which is a "mid output" 300 cycle kit. So up to 8 million reads. High output kits for 300 cycles and all 25M reads costs $1500 (FC-420-1003), also not counting sample prep. Costly little fella for OpEx.

Comment

Originally posted by misterc View Post
      Costly little fella for OpEx.
      For research labs, perhaps.

But if eventually validated for diagnostic use then 16 samples for $550/$1500?

Comment

But if eventually validated for diagnostic use then 16 samples for $550/$1500?
        That question was answered in the middle seminar. It will never be validated for diagnostic use (in USA). They have another machine for that.

Comment

Originally posted by misterc View Post
          $550 is for catalog # FC-420-1004, which is a "mid output" 300 cycle kit. So up to 8 million reads. High output kits for 300 cycles and all 25M reads costs $1500 (FC-420-1003), also not counting sample prep. Costly little fella for OpEx.
          Looks to me like this is going to be more expensive per base than the MiSeq. Plus the error rate in the BaseSpace examples seems higher than the MiSeq. Very disappointing.

Comment

This just seems like a smaller and cheaper MiSeq with crappier 2-dye chemistry and samey runcosts then. I guess you might consider one if you didn't have a MiSeq already, but there's nothing new for any lab that already has any decent instrument on site.

Comment

300 cycles and 16M reads (Illumina spec) for a MiSeq v2 kit is $1000. So, you're getting more MiniSeq reads but for a price increase that ends up keeping the cost per base about... yeah, the same. (~2E-5 cents per base if my napkin math is right)

And what JBKri said about error rates-- comparing to one of my last MiSeq runs, the error rates are about double. Is that typical for the 2-dye chemistry?

Comment

If we're comparing reads to reads, the more apt comparison is 150 cycles and 25M reads for a MiSeq v3 kit ($850). Does anyone know the pricing for the MiniSeq's 75-cycle kit?

Comment

$800 list for 75 cycles of "High Output" on MiniSeq. Catalog # FC-420-1001

Comment

Okay, so basically no cost-per-read advantage over the MiSeq either. I don't mind paying an extra $50 per run to double my read lengths. But if I were buying a new machine, that wouldn't be worth the extra $100k down payment plus the maintenance, so there's a place for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica_L View Post
                      And what JBKri said about error rates-- comparing to one of my last MiSeq runs, the error rates are about double. Is that typical for the 2-dye chemistry?
                      Double or more is typical in my tests of NextSeq, for example. But, the optics are different as well as the dye, so it's hard to say whether the 2-dye system causes it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
                        Double or more is typical in my tests of NextSeq, for example.
                        v2 chemistry or v1?

Comment

V1 was around 5x or more the error rate of MiSeq, IIRC. V2 was closer to 2x. I only tested the very early V2 kits, though, though because it had major issues with bar-code calling for a long time, so we kept using V1.

Comment

2-channel imaging will always struggle to keep the intensities straight amongst the 3 lit bases in 2 images. Everything gets dimmer and less pure in signal as you go from cycle to cycle. This likely is what will drive higher error rates, as I doubt the SBS chemistry is to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by jwfoley View Post
                              Okay, so basically no cost-per-read advantage over the MiSeq either.
                              There is a cost / read advantage if you are doing 2 x 150 PE sequencing. 50% of the capital cost of the MiSeq and the NextSeq-esque wash system also means less maintenance than the MiSeq.

Overally though, looks like it is targeted to researchers seeking to trade off the lower up front cost for slightly higher run costs and reduced capacity.
                              Last edited by Ingeneious; 01-26-2016, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Info from Illumina:

The MiniSeq is similar to the technology utilised with our NextSeq platform based on 2-channel SBS chemistry.

Pricing Information

MiniSeq System (SY-420-1001): £35,653
                                MiniSeq Basic Plan (20004132): £3,350 for 1 additional year’s cover
                                MiniSeq Comprehensive Plan (20004133): £4,021 for 1 additional year’s cover

Code:
                                High Output Kit 	2 x 150 (300bp)	7.5	25	FC-420-1003	1,046
                                High Output Kit 	2 x 75 (150 bp)	3.75	25	FC-420-1002	652
                                High Output Kit 	1 x 75 (75 bp)	1.875	25	FC-420-1001	558
                                Mid  Output Kit	2 x 150 (300 bp)	2.4	8	FC-420-1004	384
                                So upfront and service costs are half a MiSeq.
                                Output for counting experiments is the same as MiSeq v3 chemistry (25 M reads)
                                The only thing it lacks are long paired reads 2x300 bp (but those kits are failing at the moment anyway...) and with NexteraXT many of our fragments are shorter than 300 bp anyway...

I think knowing what I know now...I'd probably buy one...specs are only going to improve.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses