No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowtie call to get unique, multi-hits and nonmatching reads

Hello there,

I want to estimate (1) the number of reads that map uniquely (in one place only), (2) the number of reads that map in multiple places and (3) the number of reads that do not map at all.

Is this the correct bowtie call?

-m 1 --un nomatch_reads.txt -- max multihits_reads.txt

Thanks!

First find the number of reads that map at least once. To do this, run bowtie with "-k 1" option. Lets call this number K1.

Then run bowtie with the "-k 2" option. This will report up to two alignments per read. Lets call this number K2.

Subtracting the K1 from K2 gives the number of reads that mapped two or more times. Lets call this number K2p.

To find the number of reads that mapped exactly once, subtract K2p from K1.

To find the number of reads that did not map at all, just subtract K1 from the total number of reads in your sample.

Comment

Not sure if this is what you want, but a few months back I wrote a very simple perl script (probably not very good, I'm a biologist not a programmer, so my scripts tend to be brute force approaches) that will take a sam file and spit out the names of the reads that map more than once and how many times they mapped.

Now I can't even remember what I was using it for, but maybe it will help you get to where you need.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by chadn737; 07-19-2011, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses