No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Singletons?

Dear Friends,

I would like to ask :- What is Singletons especially in a de-novo transcriptomics assembly? I known this sound silly, but I am really very eager to known the exact information about singletons. After reading http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/14/465, I understand a bit, but not fully. I would appreciate any explaination.

Many Thanks,
    Reema Singh,

There are probably several different meanings for the word.

1) Before assembly reads will often be grouped into "pairs" (ones that have mates) and "singletons" (reads without a mate; generally because the potential mate is of poor quality)

2) After assembly you will have contigs formed from the merging (or assembly) of reads and then reads which can not be assembled -- these latter could be called "singletons" or "singleton contigs". The paper says "...while singletons are the remaining isolated reads..."

Personally I rarely use singleton reads when I have a large set of paired reads and almost never consider singleton contigs in the final results since they are unsupported by other reads.

Comment

Hi Rick,

Thanks for explaining this so clearly. It means When we align reads back to the new assembly, and in the alignment summary reads having only one pair e.g only left pair align and only right pair. Can we say these reads are singletons? Or we need to find out proper unmapped reads?

Many Thanks,
      Reema Singh,

Comment

I am not sure I understand your question.

If you align paired reads to the new assembly then one of three things can occur

1) Neither the left nor right align
        2) Only one of the left or right align
        3) Both the left and right align

I suppose you could call these

1) Unmapped
        2) Singleton mapped
        3) Paired mapped

Although that is, in my opinion, stretching the definition of what a consider a 'singleton' -- which is left read that simply doesn't have a right read and vice-versa.

Comment

Thanks Rick, This is really helpful

Reema Singh,

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Today, 09:21 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-04-2024, 09:00 AM
          0 responses