No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic question about local BLASTP

Hello.

I am using local BLASTP program to blast my protein sequences (around 600 sequences) against other organism's whole proteome database. What I want to do is to filter the output by some parameters. I have applied a reciprocal best_hit strategy, and the parameters were set as 'max identity > 30%', e<1e-10 and best_hit_overhang 0.25). However, in some cases, for example, the max identity between one best-hit set of query and subject sequence was as high as 40%, the query coverage was only 2%. Therefor, I want to exclude the best-hit sequences like that by setting a parameter like 'query coverage > 30%'.

The web based blast on NCBI could show the query coverage, but I do not know what is the command line for local BLASTP to output "query coverage". Please give me some ideas to resolve this problem. Thanks!
    Last edited by Tsuyoshi; 04-22-2013, 05:18 PM.

You can try this:

Update to the newest BLAST+ package.
    Use
    Code:
    -outfmt
    , which allows the output to be in custom format. You can find documentation on custom output format here (BLAST Command Line Applications User Manual, Appendix C, option 'outfmt'). From what I see the values to use are
    Code:
    -outfmt 6 qcovs
    , which should add query coverage per sequence value at the end of each output line and save it in tab-delimited format.

Comment

Originally posted by mknut View Post
      You can try this:

Update to the newest BLAST+ package.
      Use
      Code:
      -outfmt
      , which allows the output to be in custom format. You can find documentation on custom output format here (BLAST Command Line Applications User Manual, Appendix C, option 'outfmt'). From what I see the values to use are
      Code:
      -outfmt 6 qcovs
      , which should add query coverage per sequence value at the end of each output line and save it in tab-delimited format.
      Thank you mknut.

I tried adding qcovs, however, the output files did not contain the qcovs information. For example, if I input the command as outfmt "qacc sacc evalue bitscore qcovs", the output files only contained qacc sacc evalue bitoscore. I am thinking whether qcovs is only available for blast but not for blastp.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
        I am thinking whether qcovs is only available for blast but not for blastp.
        The manual seems to indicate that those options are available for all blast+ programs. Have you tried 'std qcovs'?

Or perhaps the command needs to be (note: single quotes):

Code:
        -outfmt 6 [COLOR="Red"]'[/COLOR]qcovs[COLOR="Red"]'[/COLOR]
        Last edited by GenoMax; 04-23-2013, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Table C1: Options common to all BLAST+ search applications.
          So yes, it seems that this command should be applicable to BLASTp. It also seems that the proper syntax to use is with double quotes, containing numerical argument as well as the rest (single quotes might work) so:
          Code:
          -outfmt "6 qcovs"
          If this does not work, you might want to think about calculating the coverage % with a script, taking query lenght from your BLASTp query and alignment length from 'length' of BLASTp output.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
            Today, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses