Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• library type for single end RNA-seq data

I searched lot of threads but didn't find any concrete answer.

I have single end RNA-seq data generated by on a Hi-Seq 2000 and I am not sure if there is some strand information associated with it.

The following thread
    Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

says that when we use fr-unstranded library then the reads will be uniquely mapped to +/- strand. So does it means we should use fr-unstranded for single end reads.

However, on the other hand the following thread
    Bridged amplification & clustering followed by sequencing by synthesis. (Genome Analyzer / HiSeq / MiSeq)

says that "Illumina directional sequencing protocol only does first strand sequencing. So fr-firststrand may be the option to use for TopHat and Cufflinks"

so what is right answer?

Also how to find the stand information associated with the reads ?
    Last edited by imsharmanitin; 06-30-2015, 10:15 AM.

Are you only asking if a particular read came from watson or crick strand or are you asking if the data you have came from a stranded library protocol?

You could simply map your data to a reference and look at it in IGV to see what strand a read came from. If you need to find if your library was made by stranded protocol then you could first ask your sequence provider what kind of protocol was used to make the libraries.

Comment

i was asking about the data that came from a standard library protocol.

i asked the service provider about the protocol used to generate the reads. this is the response from them

"samples have been processed to prepare non-stranded mRNA-Seq libraries with the illumina truseq protocol and sequenced to obtain 50 bases from the forward strand (single read).
      Please select fr-unstranded/fr-firststrand."

now shall i choose fr-unstranded OR fr-firststrand ?

Comment

Since your libraries were prepared using a non-stranded protocol you should choose "fr-unstranded". (http://www.illumina.com/documents/pr...ysisTopHat.pdf)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses