No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which E. coli genome should I use

Hi guys,

There are a couple of genome sequence (rearrangement?) for E. Coli on the NCBI FTP. i.e.

Escherichia_coli_0127_H6_E2348_69_uid32571/
    Escherichia_coli_042_uid40647/
    Escherichia_coli_536_uid16235/
    Escherichia_coli_55989_uid33413/

Now I am doing a (E. Coli) sequence alignment, which reference should I choose? Only know it is E. Coli.

thanks so much for your help.

Classic E. coli reference strain is E. coli K-12 strain MG1655 sequenced for the first time by Blattner et al in 1997. That strain is available here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/U00096.3 (this may be equivalent to: ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/genomes/Bacte...1655_uid57779/)

That said you should ask the person you are working with as to what strain you should use for the analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      Classic E. coli reference strain is E. coli K-12 strain MG1655 sequenced for the first time by Blattner et al in 1997. That strain is available here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/U00096.3 (this may be equivalent to: ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/genomes/Bacte...1655_uid57779/)

That said you should ask the person you are working with as to what strain you should use for the analysis.
      Thank you GenoMax, so there is no generic one for alignment. I cannot find the person who submit the sequence, he left without a doc. So I was thinking to download all of them and align them one by one. Not quite sure I am doing the right thing?

Cheers,
      Ben

Comment

Aligning to all of them and picking the one with the highest alignment rate and the lowest error rate seems like the best solution, if you absolutely can't ask what the strain is.

Comment

@arkilis: What are you trying to do? Plain alignments/SNP calls post alignment/genome re-arrangements? Strains can differ significantly and choice you make may have an impact on your results. BTW: One I linked above is the classic lab strain people have used for years.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
            @arkilis: What are you trying to do? Plain alignments/SNP calls post alignment/genome re-arrangements? Strains can differ significantly and choice you make may have an impact on your results. BTW: One I linked above is the classic lab strain people have used for years.
            Clear the data of a teammate who suddenly left. The folder name is E.coli. There are some sequences over there.

Thank you.

Comment

I would blast 100 reads and check the results for the types that most often show a perfect match, then grab those references and align for a full analysis.
              Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses