Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimizing magnetic bead mix for gDNA extraction

I've been working with the protocol in this thread for making magnetic bead mixes: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49507

I have it working well as a substitute for Ampure/SPRIselect, but I've also been experimenting with it in gDNA extraction, and it seems to work well at a 0.5x bead to sample ratio, which essentially is clearing out everything ~600-700bp and lower. But now I'm trying to tweak it so that selects at least at 1000bp using a 1.0x ratio. This paper seems to accomplish this using 0.3M NaCl and 8% Peg solution: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2572261/

So, I reduced the amount of the NaCl and Peg solutions for the protocol in my first so that the final mix is 0.3M NaCl and 8% Peg, and made up the difference with water. I ran two replicates for a variety of samples side-by-side on a single plate in a Kingfisher Flex, so they all were effectively handled identically. One replicate was the 0.5x ratio of SPRI mix, and the other was a 1.0x ratio using my new 0.3M NaCl/8% Peg mix. The first replicate worked perfectly, the second failed completely.

The 0.3M NaCl seems really low, and I thought that maybe it was too low to precipitate the DNA, so based on a document I don't have a link to at the moment, I added NaCl to my mix to bring it up to 1M NaCl. This still didn't work.

The protocol from my first link, which works, is 2.5M NaCl. Is my NaCl molarity in my new mix still too low? If so, then why are other protocols working with less? I understand that the NaCl precipitates the DNA, but I guess I don't understand what impact varying the molarity of the NaCl has on the final result; if anyone could enlighten me, I would appreciate it.

I might be stating the obvious here, but why not try 2.5M NaCl with 8% PEG? I can't explain why the other protocols seem to be working, but I really question whether it's necessary to reduce NaCl concentration so dramatically.

Also, stupid question: when you say "final mix," you mean with the sample (DNA) already included, correct?
    Last edited by Carcharodon; 07-02-2017, 09:02 PM.

Comment

I have always thought of the NaCl (or another source of Na+ like Sodium acetate) as a co-factor required for an ethanol, isopropanol or PEG-base nucleic acid precipitation. NaCl might precipitate nucleic acids to a degree but I do not think that it is nearly as efficient as alcohols of PEG.

Comment

Originally posted by ATϟGC View Post
        I have always thought of the NaCl (or another source of Na+ like Sodium acetate) as a co-factor required for an ethanol, isopropanol or PEG-base nucleic acid precipitation. NaCl might precipitate nucleic acids to a degree but I do not think that it is nearly as efficient as alcohols of PEG.
        I think that the sodium ions, in this case, may be somehow facilitating the binding of DNA to the carboxylated surface of the beads rather than playing a large role in the actual precipitation.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses