Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jwfoley View Post
    I know nobody here cares about microarrays (nor should we?), but I think Illumina deserves some serious mad-scientist points for the NextSeq 550. If I'm understanding correctly, they've made a microarray adapter that fits in the flow-cell slot, and are reading it with the same scanner. More innovation than I'd expect from a company with a secure monopoly.

Maybe this is an attempt to wean the last few stragglers off arrays and get them into sequencing?
    They had the HiScanSQ that did arrays plus sequencing and that was quickly discontinued. Asked an Illumina employee about it and he said it seemed like they were trying to make peanut butter and jelly again - he couldn't figure out the logic in it either.

It's cheaper than the NextSeq 500 and iScan combined, so might be useful for research labs looking for a sequencer and array as well or those doing scanning as followups. Seems very niche though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chipper View Post
      Increased throughput (reduced run time) appears to be the main thing. Would be nice if it translates to reduced costs but for that I think they need some serious competiton (BGI, not PII...).

Hiseq2500: 450-500 Gb, 6 days 4000: > 400 Gb/day
      Slight correction:
      A HiSeq2500 1T should be able to do 500 GB per flowcell in 6 days. (83Gb/day) A HiSeq4000 can do about 700Gb per flowcell in 3.5 days (200Gb/day).

Still, a major increase!

--
      Phillip

Comment

Looks like most of the points on the latest Illumina tech have been covered in this thread. A few others points that I haven't seen covered yet:

- HiSeq 3000 will cost around the same as HiSeq 2500 v4.
        - HiSeq 3000 is upgradeable to HiSeq 4000 (the HiSeq v4 upgrade was only available on instruments that shipped after 2013).
        - You can upgrade from X Five to X Ten...just buy more instruments, but at the lower $1M/instrument cost.
        - Illumina is going to start bundling library prep and cluster reagents on the X series.
        - X series is still only for whole human WGS...likely to focus battle w/ the BGI / CG WGS instrument release later this year or a good excuse to release more patterned flow cell models....

We've written some more details about the new release here: http://blog.genohub.com/illuminas-la...-and-hiseq-x5/.

As a platform that regularly handles sequencing service listings and orders, Genohub collects a lot of information on price and changes in price once a new instrument is released. In general, we've noticed what others have posted in this thread, price per Gb is rarely more competitive immediately after an instrument is released. There are still many providers offering excellent turnaround times and prices on HiSeq services that will continue to be competitive even after we have our first HiSeq 3000/4000 listed on Genohub.

Comment

Originally posted by Genohub View Post
          - HiSeq 3000 is upgradeable to HiSeq 4000 (the HiSeq v4 upgrade was only available on instruments that shipped after 2013).
          HiSeq 3000 is to HiSeq 4000 as HiSeq 1500 was to HiSeq 2500. 1 flow cell vs 2 flow cells.

The "1T" upgrade available to newer HiSeqs, that allows use of v4 chemistry, was independent of whether they had 1 or 2 flow cells.

--
          Phillip

Comment

FWIW...I think the Q4 results transcripts say a lot more about Illumina's product roadmap:

1. HiSeq2500 is being removed from FDA clearance, and will be replaced with the NextSeq with NIPT.

2. HiSeq3000 effectively replaces the HiSeq2500...not the HiSeq4000.

3. rapid mode will not be supported by either the HiSeq3000/4000.

Bright shiny objects usually have a purpose...

Comment

Originally posted by austinso View Post
              2. HiSeq3000 effectively replaces the HiSeq2500...not the HiSeq4000.
              In the sense that a 3000 will produce about the same amount of sequence per unit time as a 2500-1T. Also in the sense that Illumina priced the 3000 at the current 2500 price.
              But in the sense that the 2500 is a 2 flow cell instrument it would be replaced by the 4000 as a 3000 has only one flow cell.
              3. rapid mode will not be supported by either the HiSeq3000/4000.
              I only see this from Jay Flatley to support your statement:
              There will be a number of customers who remain on the 2500, however, due to the use of validated workflows or the importance of access to rapid run mode and longer reads.
              But this doesn't imply that rapid chemistry will never be available on the 3000/4000, does it?

--
              Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
                In the sense that a 3000 will produce about the same amount of sequence per unit time as a 2500-1T. Also in the sense that Illumina priced the 3000 at the current 2500 price.

But in the sense that the 2500 is a 2 flow cell instrument it would be replaced by the 4000 as a 3000 has only one flow cell.
                And in the sense that the people who bought the 2500 in Q4 will be potentially be offered a 3000 and not a 4000. I'm entertaining the Illumina POV here...

But this doesn't imply that rapid chemistry will never be available on the 3000/4000, does it?
                Correct, it doesn't, so yes I'm reading between the lines here...

I'd say given the push for the NextSeqDx, and dropping the HiSeq2500 for 510(k) clearance, it makes less sense to introduce rapid mode capacity (or even maintain for the 2500) for the 3000/4000 when there is a NextSeq500 that is being pushed as a product.

Besides, I don't think that ordered clustering is something that can be pushed in the same kind of way any time soon...

IMHO, of course...

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
                  Slight correction:
                  A HiSeq2500 1T should be able to do 500 GB per flowcell in 6 days. (83Gb/day) A HiSeq4000 can do about 700Gb per flowcell in 3.5 days (200Gb/day).

Still, a major increase!

--
                  Phillip
                  Which means that people will be doing more runs per year which means a lot more reagent sales for Illumina!

Comment

Some HiSeq3000 data are analyzed in this thread:
                    Bridged amplification & clustering followed by sequencing by synthesis. (Genome Analyzer / HiSeq / MiSeq)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses