Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downstream Analysis

Hi, I want know about the basics of Downstream analysis, tools used in it and applications. If you please suggest some papers , articles or sites where i can find what i'm looking for.

Thanks!

RJames

You need to be A LOT more specific. Exactly what sort of "downstream analysis"?

Comment

i just want to know the basics not specific. What is downsteam-anlysis? I have some single end ion torrent PGM 316 data in both fastaq and sff formats. I will start working on them within a month. i'm just collecting information and trying to know the basics first before starting my work.

Comment

Downstream analysis means any analysis done after some common step (the data/information flows "downstream" from the initial step). Normally this would be whatever is done after alignment, so it's too broad of a question to give a specific answer to.

Comment

Here is a generic guide to get you started since you have not specifically said *what* kind of downstream analysis you are going to do.

There is a forum dedicated to Literature Watch on SeqAnswers that you may have already noticed: http://seqanswers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Recent Nature Biotechnology focus issue: http://www.nature.com/nbt/focus/sequ...012/index.html

Comment

Thanks a lot. I will be working on single end reads obtained from Ion Torrent PGM 316. The DNA are of drug resistant strain of Stephaococcus aureus.

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
              Here is a generic guide to get you started since you have not specifically said *what* kind of downstream analysis you are going to do.

There is a forum dedicated to Literature Watch on SeqAnswers that you may have already noticed: http://seqanswers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Recent Nature Biotechnology focus issue: http://www.nature.com/nbt/focus/sequ...012/index.html
              Thanks a lot. I will be working on single end reads obtained from Ion Torrent PGM 316. The DNA(reads) are of drug resistant strain of Stephaococcus aureus.

Comment

It amazes how common the practice of pushing NGS data to people who have zero experience with it seems to be (based on reading this forum). I mean, sure you have to start somewhere.. but still..
                savetherhino.org

Comment

Originally posted by rhinoceros View Post
                  It amazes how common the practice of pushing NGS data to people who have zero experience with it seems to be (based on reading this forum). I mean, sure you have to start somewhere.. but still..
                  In a previous lab we did a lot of collaborations and the people we collaborated with WANTED the data and thought they could handle it. They never could and we would end up helping/doing things for them. I think the issue is people underestimate the complexity of working through these datasets. Most general users don't even have the necessary computational power.

Comment

Originally posted by Heisman View Post
                    In a previous lab we did a lot of collaborations and the people we collaborated with WANTED the data and thought they could handle it. They never could and we would end up helping/doing things for them. I think the issue is people underestimate the complexity of working through these datasets. Most general users don't even have the necessary computational power.
                    When I started at my current job, there were quite a few people here who were handling NGS data manually line by line (say for example arranging 16S reads by length). As you can imagine, things progressed very very slowly
                    savetherhino.org

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses