No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom barcoded RNA-seq

Hi,

we are planning on setting up our own custom method for RNA-sequencing with barcodes on an Illimina GAII. I've already found some hints in this forum and elsewhere but still have some questions:

- My plan is to the use Illumina Small RNA adapters and corresponding PCR primers (like they are displayed at http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...pters+sequence) with and additional barcode of 4-6 nucleotides added to the 5' RNA Adapter.
    Does anyone have experience with that and wants to share it?

- After RT, do I need a second strand synthesis at all? If I get it right, a PCR on the ss-cDNA should do the job and generate a ready-to-use cDNA library with adapters and all.

Any help is highly wellcome.

Note it is a very common problem to get uneven distribution of coverage in bar-coded libraries even using the Illumina adaptors. Thus if you are planning on expression analysis I doubt it will be valid.

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenSeq View Post
      Note it is a very common problem to get uneven distribution of coverage in bar-coded libraries even using the Illumina adaptors. Thus if you are planning on expression analysis I doubt it will be valid.
      Not necessarily- expression analysis packages like edgeR and DESeq have library size correction factors built in to the statistics. If one library is severely under-represented though it will reduce the statistical power of your analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by greigite View Post
        Not necessarily- expression analysis packages like edgeR and DESeq have library size correction factors built in to the statistics. If one library is severely under-represented though it will reduce the statistical power of your analysis.
        Expression analysis is indeed one of the applications that we planned.
        If the unequal distribution of barcodes is genome wide, I wouldn't expect severe problems because normalization would be simple. But if there's unequal distribution within the genome (e.g. gene A shows higher coverage than gene B for barcode 1 but lower coverage for the same sample using another barcode) it's more difficult.
        A probable solution could be to use two barcodes for each sample and take average values or to limit the number of barcodes used to keep overall coverage high.

I should add that we are working with bacterial cDNA, thus the reference genome size is not very large, which increases the coverage.

Comment

barcoding small RNAs

we tried barcoding the 5'RNA adapter and found significant bias in our small RNA preps. it turns out that RNA Lig I prefers some bases over others. You will need to barcode the 3' adenylated adapter because it utilizes a truncated version of RNA Ligase 2, which does not exhibit as much base preference.
          You can design and make these yourself or purchase a set that has already been designed and optimized to eliminate bias. Initially I tried making these myself. Now I purchase the set below. I've done several runs now with multiplexed samples with good results.

http://www.biooscientific.com/Detail...tGenSequencing

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses