No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuffdiff Results confidence help

Dear Users,
    I have a 2vs2 comparison model for Mouse data. I have aligned them with tophat2 and I am trying to find differential expression via Cuffdiff. I have a question for interpreting the Cuffdiff result. There are hardly 10 genes which pass the significance (FDR) using Cuffdiff. The other genes although are interesting and have a good p.value but have a very bad FDR . Do you trust those genes?. Also, some of the genes are very lowly expressed say 0.004 in one condition and 0.04 in other and will have a great fold change and p.value. I am having a tough time to interpret the results as I am new to this field .
    I will highly appreciate the expert opinions in this case.
    Awaiting your replies.
    Thanks,
    Himanshu

I have the same questions. Take several examples:
    Code:
    gene_id sample_1        sample_2        status  value_1 value_2 log2(fold_change)       test_stat       p_value q_value significant
    Gene00040       C       4h      OK      0       35.4111 inf     nan     0.07065 0.998432        no
    Gene00054       C       4h      OK      7.56727 0       -inf    nan     5e-05   0.0160077       yes
    Gene00109       C       4h      OK      445.777 0.302099        -10.5271        -7.85392        0.2447  0.998432
    These genes were analyzed in one experiment. It is supprised that the gene with expressioin "7.56727 0" was significant, while "445.777 0.302099" was not!

There were many many examples like these. So whether the q_value is reliable?

Comment

I suppose you have to take in account two things:
      1 - Variance between replicates;
      2 - Number of replicates.

Generally, a statistical test gives you a significant p-value if the number of replicate is "high" (???) and the variance is low.
      Check the value of FPKM both in sample1 and sample2 in both conditions.

Comment

May be the question lies here, my experiment doesn't have any replicates. So, for the experiment without replicate, is it more reasonable to use the algorithm based on counts, such as edgeR and DESeq?

Comment

Originally posted by pengchy View Post
          May be the question lies here, my experiment doesn't have any replicates. So, for the experiment without replicate, is it more reasonable to use the algorithm based on counts, such as edgeR and DESeq?
          I cannot answer about edgeR, 'cause I've never used it but I'm quite sure that Deseq is able to work also without replicates.

Comment

It seems himanshu04 has replicates (2 vs 2) and got the same question. Currently, I should be caution to use cufflinks/cuffdiff's results, and still struggle from many comments in SeqAnswer to get a clear thinking.

Comment

Hi ,
              I have two replicates. Also the FPKM's in both conditions is sometimes really low say 0.004 in one amd 0.02 in other and so fold change is high and P value is good and for some genes its 1000 and 600 but tha p value is not so high . My question is what do I trust and how to proceed further to target a few genes computationally before jumping to biological validation.
              Thanks,
              Himanshu

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses