No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• protein gi number to description

Hello,

I got gi numbers for blastp -outfmt 6 results. I am wondering which programs and database can convert the gi number list to protein descriptions. Any help? Thank you very much.

In theory BLAST could do this for you from the description in the database, please email them to let them know people would use this:
    This is an open letter to the NCBI BLAST+ team to request two simple enhancements which I think would be extremely useful - first and foremo...

But as to the general question, you want to go from a protein GI number, e.g. GI:7525018, to a description, here something like "ATP synthase CF1 alpha subunit"?

You could use the NCBI Entrez API to lookup by protein GI number, see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK25499/

Another online alternative is the TogoWS REST API http://togows.dbcls.jp/site/en/ which makes this very easy thanks to their option to extract a specific field from a record, and can be used at the command line, in a script, or in your web-browser:

Code:
    $ curl [url]http://togows.dbcls.jp/entry/protein/7525018/definition[/url]
    ATP synthase CF1 alpha subunit (chloroplast) [Arabidopsis thaliana].
    Last edited by maubp; 10-30-2012, 03:16 AM. Reason: Fixing tags; suggest emailing NCBI about BLAST

Comment

Originally posted by mkdir View Post
      Hello,

I got gi numbers for blastp -outfmt 6 results. I am wondering which programs and database can convert the gi number list to protein descriptions. Any help? Thank you very much.
      I'm guessing from the fact that you said you used '-outfmt 6' that you ran your BLAST search locally, using BLAST+, with a local database. If that is the case then you already have the toolset and data needed. You can use the blastdbcmd which is part of the BLAST+ distribution. This command should give you what your want.

Code:
      # blastdbcmd -db <your_blastdb_name> -entry_batch <gi_list_file> -outfmt '%g %t' -target_only -out <output_file_name>
      The gi_list_file contains the gi's you want to search, one entry per line. The outfmt will print "gi#<space>definition", one per line. You can adjust the outfmt as desired (blastdbcmd -help for a full description of possible formats).
      Last edited by kmcarr; 10-30-2012, 05:44 AM. Reason: Added '-target_only' to command line. This will output only the first definition if multiple definitions map to the gi

Comment

That's rather neat kmcarr, in this case for just the one GI number in my example:
        Code:
        $ blastdbcmd -db /data/blastdb/ncbi/nr -entry 7525018 -outfmt '%t' -target_only
        ATP synthase CF1 alpha subunit [Arabidopsis thaliana]
        Nice

Comment

Thank you very much kmcarr and maubp. This worked out.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses