No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DESeq2 multifactorial design

Hi all.

I have a complex experiment that I try to analyse, and I am not sure how to go about it. I have performed RNA-seq experiments in my cells under two different conditions, starved and stimulated, and I wanted to see how gene expression changed. I repeated the experiment after knocking-down a transcription factor that might influence the response to starvation-stimulation. So, I designed shRNA for this factor, and I performed RNA-seq experiments again under starvation and after stimulation. On top of that, I prepared libraries of cells treated with scramble RNA under and after stimulation. All experiments were performed 3 times and analysed with DESeq2.

Each repeat of this experiment was prepared with each own scramble library. I noticed that I needed to "normalise" each treated sample to its own control. I did this by including a 'prep' group, grouping together all libraries prepared on the same day and sequenced together.

I analysed the data using this DESeq2 design:

Sample Treatment Prep Condition
    shRNA-1 treated A Starved
    shRNA-2 treated B Starved
    shRNA-3 treated C Starved
    scr-1 control A Starved
    scr-2 control B Starved
    scr-3 control C Starved
    shRNA-1 treated A Stimulated
    shRNA-2 treated B Stimulated
    shRNA-3 treated C Stimulated
    scr-1 control A Stimulated
    scr-2 control B Stimulated
    scr-3 control C Stimulated

design= ~ Prep + Treatment

This was done per condition (i.e. one analysis for starved samples, one for stimulated samples). This analysis gave me a few interesting things, but I would like now to see how the expression levels change from starvation to stimulation for my shRNA-treated cells, after some kind of normalisation to the scramble samples. I tried using the following design:

design= ~ Prep + Treatment + Condition

but I am not sure that this makes sense. At least the gene list I am getting does not make much sense. Is there something wrong with using both Prep and Treatment as blocking factors?

Any suggestion whatsoever will be much appreciated.
    --Katerina

You probably want:
    Code:
    design = ~prep+Treatment*Condition
    At least I assume that you did the experiment because the shRNA knockdown should affect the response to the condition change (stimulated vs. starved), in which case the interaction is pretty interesting.

Comment

I didn't try that because I thought that I would be making the assumption that there will be a interaction (and I am not sure whether there is one, although I hope!). I'll give it a try now and see.

Any thoughts about how I could also incorporate the wild type cells (starved and stimulated) into the analysis? I know that I am asking too much now.

Thank you for the reply though!
      --Katerina

Comment

The design I gave already incorporates that. If it helps, another way to write the exact same design is:
        Code:
        design = ~prep + Treatment + Condition + Treatment:Condition
        "*" is just an abbreviation for "as main effects and with an interaction".

Comment

Ok, thanks, I'm trying it as we speak.

What I meant was that apart from the 'control' (i.e. cells treated with scramble RNA), I also have wild type cells with no treatment at all. I was wondering whether it makes any sense to include them into the analysis as well.
          --Katerina

Comment

Ah, I follow you know. Yes, it probably makes sense to include those, since you're probably more interested in control vs. starved and control vs. stimulated than starved vs. stimulated.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses