Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to compute all restriction enzyme sites in the human genome?

Dear colleagues,
    I have a very simple question to ask but I am struggling with it...
    I have a restriction enzyme of 6 nucleotides and i want to find ALL sites within the human genome (hg19 for instance) where the restriction enzyme matches the sequence.
    I was trying to use blast but it seems that I am using a too short sequence so it never returns a list.
    Any recommendations on how to compute that?
    thanks a lot in advance

This should be fun. A real classic bioinformatics task for beginners.

There are some good books out there for learning how to solve these problems.
    Beginning Perl for Bioinformatics
    Bioinformatics Programming in Python: A Practical Course for Beginners

For working environments you could try:
    DNA Linux

This kind of task is also an excellent starting point for learning simple scripting tasks on your own. In other words, you could use this as an excuse to learn some Python, Perl, Regex, Awk, etc.

There are also packages/libraries of code that will have already solved many of these types of basic bioinformatics tasks. To name just a few of these: BioPerl, BioPython, EMBOSS, etc.

Comment

In case you feel that my previous post was dodging your question ... attached is an example Perl script that you could use as a starting point. It uses regex to identify occurrences of one string (an RE sequence) within another string (a chromosome).

In this example if you want to get all the EcoRI sites on chromosome 22 you would do this (from a linux prompt):
      ./findRestrictionSites.pl --genome_version=hg19 --chromosome=22 --re_site=GAATTC

The output will be one site per line in the format: chr:start-end

There is also a list of online RE analysis tools here.
      Attached Files

Comment

If you prefer to use R/Bioconductor, you might investigate the BSgenome and Biostrings packages. Here's a document walking your through the process:

Comment

Thanks a lot! Very very useful!

Comment

I have used BioStrings and BSgenome to find restriction sites in the mouse genome...it works great. The only caveat is that you have to use 'matchPattern()' on a per chromosome basis, and then append all the output files if a single per genome file is desired.

Comment

HiCUP

Hi,

check out HiCUP digester in its pipeline:

Best

Comment

Hi lunacab,

Would you be willing to share your data regarding the restriction site coordinates in the human genome? It would be incredibly helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by malachig View Post
                  It uses regex to identify occurrences of one string (an RE sequence) within another string (a chromosome).
                  Just as a comment, if I'm not mistaken your scripts reverse-complements the regular expression, which is something that cannot be done. I'd rather reverse complement the reference sequence even if it is more "expensive".

Comment

EMBOSS is an old program, but it works remarkably well for this type of task.
                    Don't be fooled by the dated website.
                    It is a very efficient program.

Comment

Originally posted by dariober View Post
                      Just as a comment, if I'm not mistaken your scripts reverse-complements the regular expression, which is something that cannot be done. I'd rather reverse complement the reference sequence even if it is more "expensive".
                      I'm not sure I follow. It doesn't reverse-complement the "regular expression" it reverse complements the restriction enzyme sequence (a string) that is used in the regular expression. We can either (A) search for our string of interest in the reference sequence and its reverse complement, or (B) search for our string of interest and its reverse complement in the reference sequence.

These two approaches should be equivalent. The script uses option B.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses