Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Tracer,

This answers all my questions. Brilliant!

Regarding this:

"Bottom line:
    If you have a large volume of samples that arrive continuously (so you can maximize the throughput of the MiSeq) and turnaround time is not a critical aspect, the MiSeq is probably the better choice. If you have a varying amount of samples that need to be turned around quickly, you are better of with a PGM"

.. I guess we have a little bit of both, so we have to choose whats most important. Or buy both...

Cheers,

Vegard

Comment

• Any update o new thoughts about this thread ?

Comment

• Updates on Illumina vs IonTorrent

a must read: http://omicsomics.blogspot.se/2015/0...uzz-again.html

I have to agree with Keith here, I would love to hear some company giving Illumina a run for their money. The problem I see with torrent is that they made too many promises and failed to deliver, badly. Now they are restricted to a few niche markets, but is this enough to sustain development at the level needed to compete with Illumina?

Comment

• Originally posted by AntonioRFranco View Post
          Any update o new thoughts about this thread ?
          Wait for the minION.

Comment

• Hi tracer,

You are using PGM for bacterial identification? which gene target are you using? Are you using non-16S gene as well? or you using 16S with different V regions? what is your primer set to identify bacteria? What is your turnaround time for bacterial ID?
            Thanks

d00b

Comment

• Originally posted by Chipper View Post
              Wait for the minION.
              It's out already. They are projecting over 40 GB of data for 1K

Comment

• Originally posted by NextGenSeq View Post
                It's out already. They are projecting over 40 GB of data for 1K
                Well, for values of "out" that include not being able to just order one.

Where do you get the 40 GB of data figure?

--
                Phillip

Comment

• I agree that it's not really 'out' yet - so far the 40Gb claim comes from ONT but not any end users. I think this is from the MkI version that maybe isn't quite yet available to MAP participants. Does anyone have the latest 'real world' results from MAP participants? Last I saw was still sub-Gb per run.

Hopefully ONT will reveal more at their "London Calling" event (and hopefully some attendees with tweet about it or post the info here...)
                  AllSeq - The Sequencing Marketplace
                  [email protected]
                  www.AllSeq.com

Comment

• Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
                    Well, for values of "out" that include not being able to just order one.

Where do you get the 40 GB of data figure?

--
                    Phillip
                    Clive Brown's blog

Comment

• I've done a price/technology comparison of Illumina MiSeq and IonTorrent PGM here. IMO it's got to be illumina...

Comment

• all right, our lab is doing very similar jobs with vehuardo's lab, plus a lot of viral identification. And the major question confused me alot is the choice between S5 and miseq.

our fund is only supported for one miseq, so it's hard to buy S5+ionchef. any information will be welcome, thanks!

ps: like vehuardo said, the Life tech. did a good presentation that are impressive most of my collegues.

Comment

• Originally posted by kikor View Post
                          all right, our lab is doing very similar jobs with vehuardo's lab, plus a lot of viral identification. And the major question confused me alot is the choice between S5 and miseq.

our fund is only supported for one miseq, so it's hard to buy S5+ionchef. any information will be welcome, thanks!

ps: like vehuardo said, the Life tech. did a good presentation that are impressive most of my collegues.

If you have small number of samples AND you need fast turnaround time, then Ion Torrent. Otherwise, MiSeq.

If you are doing pure research, then turnaround time shouldn't be a concern, then obviously MiSeq.

Comment

• Originally posted by kikor View Post
                            all right, our lab is doing very similar jobs with vehuardo's lab, plus a lot of viral identification. And the major question confused me alot is the choice between S5 and miseq.

You don't absolutely need the Chef. We have the PGM and the Proton, but no Chef, and we get along just fine. The Chef automates some things and saves time, but it's not necessary. I guess what I'm saying is that if you feel the S5 is the better instrument for your needs, but the cost of the S5+Chef is prohibitive, you can get just the OT2 and get along just fine.

Comment

• Hello all,

Any updates on this thread?

(Newbie here)

Comment

• I agree. It is so straight forward and easy to grasp which is okay from my side.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses