View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
pbatzel

Hi swbarnes thanks for your reply.

Yes, not knowing the biology behind it, the barcodes are somewhat magical to me (although I suppose a lot of this is). My very rough understanding of it is that we use a specific primer for each different sample and therefore can set our own 3' and 5' "barcodes" or adapters, or whatever else someone might call them. I also should have mentioned this is RNA-Seq stuff, so everything is cDNA.

You're spot on with the illumina "ID" I mentioned being something like lane, title, xy and I am indeed hoping that I can make the assumption that they are from the same DNA fragment if they have the same ID. If they are from the same fragment and one side has a barcode that is correct, I should be able to fix the barcode on the second side and bin it into the correct file.

After I posted this question, a colleague mentioned something about "chimeric molecules". I'm assuming from the PCR step, that would botch up this assumption, but only for a very small % of the reads unless something has gone horribly wrong. Again, I'm very new to all of this and have very little biological background so any info is very helpful.
pbatzel is offline   Reply With Quote