Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NextSeq 500, High-Output Paired end reads - upper/lower limits for insert sizes?

What is the upper/lower limits of the final library template that can achieve an optimal clustering efficiency & success rate? Illumina states that an "insert size of 550 bp is supported" but they don't give any range limits before sub-optimal clustering efficiency occurs. Online NGS forums have stated anywhere between 200-800 bases, but this is not supported by any relevant data -can anyone confirm this? We currently use the NextSeq 500, High-Output Paired end reads.

we have successfully clustered 1000bp libraries (final size including adapters). You will end up with less cluster passing filter, but we were still within specs. On the lower end, I have no experience.

Comment

Library with 1000bp fragment size on NovaSeq

Originally posted by Genetic Librarian View Post
      we have successfully clustered 1000bp libraries (final size including adapters). You will end up with less cluster passing filter, but we were still within specs. On the lower end, I have no experience.
      Hi Genetic Librarian,

I have a TruSeq Nano library with 1000bp fragments (final size with adapters - see BioAnalyzer trace attached) that I want to run on the NovaSeq. I realize that the NextSeq and NovaSeq platforms behave differently, but were there any modifications that you made to your sequencing run to accommodate 1000bp library fragments on your NextSeq platform?

Thanks for any guidance!

Nathan
      Attached Files

Comment

Illumina instruments preferentially cluster shorter amplicons. The Agilent chip you include shows visible material below 600 bp. Since this lower molecular weight material is present, it will displace longer amplicons and you will see zero, or close to zero, 1000 base insert results.

--
        Phillip

Comment

Previous large-fragment-sized library and insert sizes

Hi Phillip,

That jibes with what I've heard about cluster generation bias on Illumina platforms as well. However, just to verify this, I checked the insert size distribution of reads from a library with a similar fragment size distribution (mostly 1000 bp) that I had sequenced on a 300-bp-paired-end MiSeq run last year. My insert sizes (calculated by bwa and extracted from the resultant sam file: see attached pdf) mostly clustered around ~550 bp. If I correctly understand how insert sizes are calculated, then my fragment sizes could be calculated by adding insert size + 2 * read length, or 550 + 2 * 300, which is 1150 bp. Is that correct? If that is correct, then I was able to get somewhat plentiful clustering and sequencing of ~1000 bp fragments (on the MiSeq system, at least).
          Attached Files
          Last edited by nano85; 04-23-2018, 02:15 PM.

Comment

@nano85: I suggest that you actually calculate the insert sizes by using one of the methods noted by @Brian in post #2 here.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
              @nano85: I suggest that you actually calculate the insert sizes by using one of the methods noted by @Brian in post #2 here.
              Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
              Hello, Phillip. Thank you for the advice. I did as you suggested (following method one from post #2 by Brian Bushnell: map reads to an assembly) and got the following insert size stats, which confirm the results from bwa:

insert size avg: 585.29
              insert 25th %: 478.00
              insert median: 567.00
              insert 75th %: 664.00
              insert std dev: 154.24
              insert mode: 565

However, I was calculating the fragment size incorrectly: fragment size = insert size + 2 * adapter size (read sizes are included within the insert size). Adapter size with an index is 64 bp, so my average fragment size is 585 + 2 * 64 = 713 bp. This supports what you said earlier: that smaller clusters are sequenced more efficiently. The library does have a lot of sequenced fragments on the large side, though.
              Last edited by nano85; 04-24-2018, 02:42 AM.

Comment

You also have to keep in mind that the flowcells and clustering methods are not the same in the NovaSeq as in the MiSeq / NextSeq. A patterned flowcell is much worse for sequencing long libraries, since clusters bridge into neighbouring wells.
                Also, the ExAmp chemistry has a higher bias against long fragments as the traditional bridge amplification.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses