No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to use mira to assemble the fastq generated by 454 sequencing

Hi;

I have some questions to use MIRA: I am asking for help about how to use the mira to assemble my fastq file

I had downloaded the fastq file I am interested from NCBI SRA database. But It only provides fastq file. When I read the manual of Mira,

it says another XML file which extracted from the original SFF file to indicate the vector or adaptor information is needed. Since, I only got the fastq file from the internet,can I do the assmble work alone using the fastq file without that XML file.

You can, but you'd be better off converting the SRA files to SFF using the SRA toolkit and then using them in the suggested way (sff_extract to extract the sequences and clipping information).

Comment

Hi.
      This is the approach I have also been trying to use as I want to use MIRA3 for my assemblies from SRA files. I have used the fastq-dump tool to make fastq files but when i try and use the sff-dump it doesn't work when following the user guide. If you have experience using it I'd really appreciate some help as I may be doing something basic wrong (I am completely new to all things bioinformatics).
      Thanks, seenstevo

Comment

Originally posted by dingkai0564 View Post
        Hi;

I have some questions to use MIRA: I am asking for help about how to use the mira to assemble my fastq file

I had downloaded the fastq file I am interested from NCBI SRA database. But It only provides fastq file. When I read the manual of Mira,

it says another XML file which extracted from the original SFF file to indicate the vector or adaptor information is needed. Since, I only got the fastq file from the internet,can I do the assmble work alone using the fastq file without that XML file.

Usually the 454 created fastq is quality/adaptor clipped.
        So why not using them like solexa input data
        http://http://mira-assembler.sourceforge.net/docs/DefinitiveGuideToMIRA.html#sect_sxa_denovo_solexa_only_assemblies

I don't know what kind of data you have; genomic is straight forward,
        cDNA or clone pools (fosmids, BACs) are some different things ...
        Last edited by sklages; 10-26-2011, 03:41 AM. Reason: some of my nonsense removed :-)

Comment

Hi, I am having the same problem. I downloaded a file from SRA and used SRA toolkit to convert it to fastq and sff. But the file can only be converted to fastq. I have only the fastq file which is from ion torrent data and I want to use mira to assemble it? Does anyone know how to do this. I have run mira before with sff file to extract the xml file. I do not know how to do this for fastq file and iontorrent data.

Will be glad if you could help

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by pari_89 View Post
            Hi, I am having the same problem. I downloaded a file from SRA and used SRA toolkit to convert it to fastq and sff. But the file can only be converted to fastq.

Thank you.
            Do you know if the SFF file is not included in the SRA data or were you not able to extract the SFF file?

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
              Do you know if the SFF file is not included in the SRA data or were you not able to extract the SFF file?
              I have extracted the FastQ file from SRA but there is no SFF available for this file.

Anyway, I have managed to make mira work with fastq file only.

my file was named test_in.iontor.fastq

The commands I used were:

mira --project=test --job=denovo,genome,accurate,iontor --notraceinfo

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses