No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variant annotation- uanble to get HGVS Nomenclature for intronic region

Hello All,

I am trying to annotate my variants. I am finding it hard to annotate my intronic regions (+/- 10bp from the exonic region). I am currently using Annovar to annotate them.

Any suggestion of how to tweak the parameter to get that regions annotated or link to the HGV nomenclature information corresponding to the NM number will be useful.

Thanks,

Satish

The annotation is 'intronic' in this case then surely?

HGVS nomenclature can be anchored against a genomic coordinate if you want, but there are guidelines for intron naming. However there are multiple ways to describe an intronic variant and the tools I use certainly wont assign HGVS nomenclature to intronic variants.

intronic nucleotides (coding DNA reference sequence only)
    beginning of the intron; the number of the last nucleotide of the preceding exon, a plus sign and the position in the intron, like c.77+1G, c.77+2T, ....
    end of the intron; the number of the first nucleotide of the following exon, a minus sign and the position upstream in the intron, like ..., c.78-2A, c.78-1G.
    in the middle of the intron, numbering changes from "c.77+.." to "c.78-.."; for introns with an uneven number of nucleotides the central nucleotide is the last described with a "+" (see Discussion)
    NOTE: the format c.IVS1+1G and c.IVS1-2G should not be used (see Discussion)

Comment

Hi, I believe with ANNOVAR you have to set -splicing_threshold to the value required to annotate intronic variants (by default it is 2) - so for example '-splicing_threshold 10' in your case might work.

Comment

We recently released and published our HGVS Python library for parsing, formatting, mapping, and validating variants.

http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals...tu630.abstract

A major advantage of the library over other options is that the code correctly handles diabolical cases where the reference-transcript alignment contains indels (affects ~460 genes). The package extensively tested with manually mapped variants and against dbSNP and Mutalyzer. (The only discrepancies with Mutalyzer were in genes where there were alignment indels.)

I recently implemented experimental support for adding HGVS tags to VCF files. See https://bitbucket.org/hgvs/hgvs/issu...-hgvs-variants.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses