View Single Post
Old 10-01-2018, 12:36 AM   #8
-SB-

Been trying to work out what's wrong with 'omics for the longest time.

Turns out that it's not 'ology.

The problem being that we've traded in scientific quality for technical quantity - and unsurprisingly - all that is then accomplished is big data in big data warehouses housing e-tumbleweeds.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...1&postcount=19

When first it explicitly dawned on me back in 2004.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabile View Post
There’s a desperate sense to the genetic studies I’ve seen. The problem is that the statistical view has a compelling nature, and the dangers aren’t obvious. But the result is bad science, in my not so humble opinion.

What we are increasingly doing, in this modern world of studies that reanalyze and reinterpret data from other studies, is giving up on the scientific idea of actually explaining the mechanisms at work in some process of nature.
Now - the basic idea in this thread could have been worked up (at least sufficiently) in yeast without any molecular dissection required.
I'm pretty sure the basic idea could have come from an experiment in a garage ie impact of nutrients on yeast longevity ... ... which makes the idea of today's mega-medical laboratory complexes look ridiculous.

This sort of paper.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/....1002/yea.1354

Peter Piper Published a Paper of Perfect Pertinence ?
Quote:
Many species, including the Drosophila and nematode (Caenorhabditis elegans) models of ageing, rapidly readjust their survival–fecundity balance in response to environmental signals. Yeast also switches rapidly between a non‐reproductive state (G0 arrest, low metabolic activity and high stress resistance), when starved for nutrients, and a state of rapid proliferation when nutrients are available.
2 metabolic states -> 2 biochemical pathways -> 2 genetic programs

Without the 'FASTED' state the internal components of the cell in the 'FED' state acquire and retain damage ... ... and before you know it - all Hell (diseases of Western living) breaks loose.
-SB- is offline   Reply With Quote