Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert merged BAM back to per lane BAM or FASTQ file

I have got some illumina data in a a merged BAM file for a particular sample and I would like to convert it back to per lane data files (BAM or fastq) so it would be compatible with the analysis pipeline. Any ideas on the best way to do this?

When I did this a few days ago (with only knowledge of command-line stuff and samtools), here's a rough guide to what I did:
    1. Extract header from BAM file
      Code:
      samtools view -H infile.bam > header.sam
    2. filter out lanes from BAM file, add header
      Code:
      (cat header.sam; samtools view infile.bam | grep '^DATA...._<lane>_.') > out_lane<lane>.sam
    3. convert SAM to BAM
      Code:
      samtools view -S out_lane<lane>.sam -b > out_lane<lane>.bam

There's probably some better way, but it would have taken longer for me to find than for me to just do it and deal with the additional overhead of storing temporary SAM files per lane.

Comment

If the lane info is stored in RG tags you can use this: http://genome.sph.umich.edu/wiki/SplitBam

Comment

SplitBam looks ideal, but I can't find a download link for it. Any ideas?

And thanks for the other suggestion too, that makes a lot of sense.

--EDIT--
        Actually it looks like there are no @RG in the headers ... Oh Dear.
        Last edited by danielsbrewer; 09-29-2011, 01:03 AM.

Comment

SplitBam download link?

I am trying to do the exact same thing and I do have @RG tags, but I can not find a download link for SplitBam. Does anyone know how to download this program?

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by danielsbrewer View Post
            SplitBam looks ideal, but I can't find a download link for it. Any ideas?

And thanks for the other suggestion too, that makes a lot of sense.

--EDIT--
            Actually it looks like there are no @RG in the headers ... Oh Dear.
            Originally posted by jtladner View Post
            I am trying to do the exact same thing and I do have @RG tags, but I can not find a download link for SplitBam. Does anyone know how to download this program?

Jason
            Go here and either follow the instructions for retrieving the current development release from the source repository or download the tarball for the latest stable realese (0.1.4). Note that either way you are downloading the entire libStatGen toolkit, which you must then compile. SplitBam is merely one of the programs in the toolkit.

Comment

Originally posted by jtladner View Post

Jason

splitBam is part of the bamUtil package, which i found it here https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science and it was very easy to download it.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses