• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samtools Flag to identify outward facing (mate-pair not paired end) reads

Hi,
    Can someone tell me what flag I should grep for in order to
    obtain reads that are outward facing (mate pairs: <--- && ---> ) and what
    flags I should grep for in order to obtain reads that are inward facing (paired ends: --> && <---)?
    many thanks
    Les
    p.s. I have consulted the picard's useful site at http://picard.sourceforge.net/explain-flags.html
    but what confuses is me that the definition of "proper pair" etc which is dependent on the aligner's definition based on the insert size.

Right now, I don't think this is possible.

The FLAG doesn't record the pairing direction, just if the aligner/assembler says it was correct or not.

In principle this could be recorded as part of the read group @RG line, but I don't think that has been standardised yet. You could raise this on the samtools-devel mailing list.

Comment

Originally posted by maubp View Post
      Right now, I don't think this is possible.

The FLAG doesn't record the pairing direction, just if the aligner/assembler says it was correct or not.

In principle this could be recorded as part of the read group @RG line, but I don't think that has been standardised yet. You could raise this on the samtools-devel mailing list.
      Can someone please confirm if the following is correct:

I thought, 99,147 and 83,163 are the flags for "proper pair" (i.e. --> <--)
      within insert size.

For mate-pair (outward facing) the flag is 115, 179 for concordant (within insert size)
      and 113,177 for discordant.

thanks

Comment

The problem is "proper pair" is context dependent, it could be --> <-- for Illumina paired end, <-- --> for Illumina mate pairs, or --> --> for Roche pairs, or --> --> ---> ... --> for strobed reads.

What you can do is look at the FLAG as see for any pair of reads were they --> <-- etc, and if they were "properly paired", but that just tells you how they mapped, not what the library construction should have been. This also won't help for when only one of a pair is mapped, or neither.

Perhaps I misunderstood you - that may be all you want to do?

Comment

Originally posted by lesander View Post

within insert size.

For mate-pair (outward facing) the flag is 115, 179 for concordant (within insert size)

thanks
          That second set of numbers doesn't correspond to how I thought mate pairs work. I thought that mate pairs were always outward-running. So the numbers would be 97,145,81, and 161, if your aligner is expacting ordinary paired-end reads. If you rev-comped your reads, they'd be inward running, and would look like ordinary paired end reads.

Comment

Originally posted by lesander View Post

within insert size.

thanks
            No, 115 & 179 (or 113 & 177) are nonsensical if you are expecting outward facing mate-pairs. Those flag values would have both read 1 and read 2 aligned to the minus strand. A proper mate-pair would have the reads on opposite strands.

A proper set of mate-pair reads would have exactly the same flag values as a proper set of paired-end reads (83,163 or 99,147). It is up to the alignment software to decide whether the pair is proper based on relative orientation and distance of reads 1 & 2 and the stated methodology.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses